Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. Road Trip.

Article about: Next year, in mid October I will be visiting the U.S. for a wedding. My intention thereafter is to embark on a road trip and see some of the country. I will have about three weeks to do and

?

Default U.S. Road Trip.

Next year, in mid October I will be visiting the U.S. for a wedding. My intention thereafter is to embark on a road trip and see some of the country. I will have about three weeks to do and see as much as I can.

My current rough plan of a route will be leaving from West Bend Wisconsin, travel west to Yellowstone National Park, visit Montana (I've always wanted to go there), head down towards San Francisco, then head towards Death Valley, Las Vegas and finish off in the Grand Canyon, flying home from Phoenix.

Now, my question is, what along that route is there to see and do? I would obviously like to see as much as possible en route, the usual 'touristy' places but is there anything off the beaten track? I'm after historical places, the Battle of the Little Big Horn site for example.

Any suggestions, tips, advice will be very welcome.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: U.S. Road Trip.

Well, it's not much in the way of an historically related place, but if you feel like passing through the california wine country, Healdsburg and Napa to be exact, there are great things to see in the way of wineries and the like. Plus, I will buy you a drink. Or two.

?

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    Well, it's not much in the way of an historically related place, but if you feel like passing through the california wine country, Healdsburg and Napa to be exact, there are great things to see in the way of wineries and the like. Plus, I will buy you a drink. Or two.
    That kind of thing would interest me too.........

Aw, I was hoping you'd be passing through my part of the country, Adrian!

I would suggest the Pima Air and Space Museum in Pima, Arizona, but that's a little bit out of your way. I'm sure there are hundreds of potential stops, but make sure you visit Alcatraz!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    That kind of thing would interest me too.........
    keep me posted as your plans develop, Adrian. that is a sincere offer. it would be a pleasure.

Adrian,
    The Columbia River Gorge and the Oregon Coast are extremely beautiful in October. This may be worth the trip to go a bit farther West on your way to California.

Hope you enjoy your trip whichever route you take.

Burt

If you are heading toward Death Valley from the Bay you could travel through Lake Tahoe and the Eastern Sierra mountains to highway 395 and head south towards Death Valley. That would take you near the ghost town and state park of Bodie which is a very neat place to visit and take photos if you like historical landmarks.

Bodie ghost town

?

Thank you for your continuing suggestions and offers of hospitality. It would be great to meet a few of you along the way and share a glass of wine or beer!

I have no suggestions for the West Coast. I hope your next trip to the States will be via the East Coast. Come through Maryland and the steamed crabs will be my treat!

Adrian Since you will be in Phoenix I highly suggest checking out Tombstone which is not that far away. Is famous for gunfight at O.K. Corral and is a great place to visit shops that carry firearms, and all sorts of great souvenirs. You won't be diappointed. Check out web site for Tombstone arizona for more info. Have a great trip.