Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US boots question

Article about: Good evening gents, for some reason but dont ask me why but ive compared the soles on my 68 dated genesco nam boots to my later 97 dated us wellco boots and they seem an identical tread patt

Default US boots question

Good evening gents, for some reason but dont ask me why but ive compared the soles on my 68 dated genesco nam boots to my later 97 dated us wellco boots and they seem an identical tread pattern ,my question is wether the two makers were related in some way or did they just use a recognised pattern 001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg
    Regards James

?

I have no idea to your question unfortunately James but I really like those boots!

The pattern is known as a Panama sole and is a self cleaning design used widely across the US (and British to a lesser extent) armed forces.
    "In 1944, the Panama sole was first developed by U.S. Army Sergeant Raymond Dobie, which used a series of angled rubber lugs in the soles to push soft mud from the soles, clearing them and providing much better grip in greasy clay or mud.[1] However, the Panama sole was developed too late to see service in World War II, and both M-1942 (Jungle) and M-1945 (Combat Boot, Tropical) boots used Vibram soles. With the end of the war, all official interest in jungle equipment came to a halt; an improved Jungle boot with the new Panama sole was not produced until 1965."
    Last edited by Gunny Hartmann; 07-05-2014 at 11:18 AM.

thats real interesting paul so thank you ,i didnt realise us brits had a similar design ,i wonder if made under licence ?, im familiar with the vibram sole pattern and see here compared to this panama style looks to clog with mud easier ,ive also heard of use in the first gulf war but problems came when sand would enter the pair of sole vents ,inside there is this mesh insole ,i guess to help with ventilation ,thanks again ,james001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg
    Regards James

No problem at all James i'm always glad to help mate, the panama soled boots used by the British forces are US made boots, the pair i have are made by Wellco which is a yank company!... Oh yeah those nylon mesh insoles are bloody uncomfortable!....