Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

USS Forestal Scrapped

Article about: Famed USS Forestal arrives in Texas to be scrapped | Military Trader FYI and I had a plastic model replica I built when I was a kid so this means something to me, beside the loss of life on

Default USS Forestal Scrapped

Famed USS Forestal arrives in Texas to be scrapped | Military Trader

FYI

and I had a plastic model replica I built when I was a kid so this means something to me, beside the loss of life on her

?

This was referred to as the USS Firestal by many of the Squids(Navy Guy's) I knew back in the early 80's ever since the accident that took place on Her during Vietnam.
    It is a shame that such great ships are getting to the age that they are no longer needed and being scraped!!!
    I hope when my time comes, I have a little more glorious ending!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

That is a shame - She should be set up as a museum.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

When I was in the aviation field in the Marine Corps the accident that took place was part of our safety training films on what can go wrong when working around aircraft. One thing that always stuck in my mind was the pilot that jumps out of the burning A4. It is John McCain. The Senator from my home state of Arizona.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This was referred to as the USS Firestal by many of the Squids(Navy Guy's) I knew back in the early 80's ever since the accident that took place on Her during Vietnam.
    It is a shame that such great ships are getting to the age that they are no longer needed and being scraped!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Well you might as your not an aircraft carrier
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Well you might as your not an aircraft carrier
    But I am on old Juggernaut!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

But I am on old Juggernaut!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Well I cant say what will happen to you (hopfully a museuem LOL)
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

'Old Soldiers Never Die...they just come back as razor blades and Corollas'

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    'Old Soldiers Never Die...they just come back as razor blades and Corollas'
    Yep.
    For decades a tall tale in gun circles claimed, that the Graf Spee came back as Ballester Molina handguns.
    But as I said, most likely a tall tale.

?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Actually we called it the USS Zippo in the 60s.
    I was at the Oak Knoll Naval hospital in 69 and met one of the fire crew that had been on the flight deck when it went up. His ears were just nubs, The tip of his nose was burned off, his lips were gone and he only had a few scattered patches of hair. Most there avoided him because he looked like hell. I talked to him whenever I ran into him. His hippy girl friend dumped him and he was very depressed. He was a good guy. I wish I had kept in touch with him.