Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

V2 over Moscow

Article about: I was watching a doco about the V2 rockets last night and it got me thinking..? Why did the Germans only use them on London and Antwerp??? Surely a few well placed V2's directed towards Rusi

?

Default V2 over Moscow

I was watching a doco about the V2 rockets last night and it got me thinking..?

Why did the Germans only use them on London and Antwerp???

Surely a few well placed V2's directed towards Rusian cities, and maybe a few behind allied lines in the west, would have caused confusion snd fear...

I mean it's something that I would do in that situation, why saturate your supply on one or two cities??? I'd have them going off in all directions, if only to disrupt and confuse....they had mobile launches, why not deploy a few eastward???

Any thought ladies and gents???

Default Re: V2 over Moscow

operational range of 320km is the answer.

?

Launch sites, transportation to the eastern front, and certainly not the least not wanting the Soviets to get their hands on the technology. Not that they didn't anyway.

The V-1 and V-2's,etc weren't really all that strategic a weapon anyway. They were more psychological terror weapons, when it came down to it. They weren't too awfully accurate and, of course, they did do damage when they Did hit, but nothing a single bomber load couldn't have done better with their eyes closed. They might have scared the Hell out of the average British housewife, but I suspect that it would have been business as usual for your run of the mill Russian city dweller.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I was just thinking, even eith the limited range, a few V2's lobbed into the rear areas of the red army, mainly for psychological effect wouldn't have been out of the question, they could have lobbed a few into Bastogne, even Paris....purely hypothetical, but imagine the psych affect of these things hitting conventional tropps

?

It just seems a waste to concentrate them on London.... When they could have been used to have these things targeting sites all round Europe....

Even just to show that you "can reach out and touch someone" at a distance without risking aircraft and bomber crews....

I'd rather have one of the V-2's tossed at my position than a single HE round from the 800mm Gustav and Dora railway guns.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I'm thinking that the technology involved, firing 3 or 4 of these things at the enemies rear, with no warning of their arrival, would certainly make the enemy take a step back, even momentarily, and rethink their strategy and disperse more widely and certainly slow thrm down.....

I would expect the enormous possibility of merely blowing up a few metres of French countryside would dictate that the expense of a V2 would be better directed at a larger target where the odds of causing the damage and psychological impact were greater.