Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Very old U.S. buttons

Article about: Hi guys, I have had these for a long time and I just wanted to ask, what are these exactly? Mods, please move this thread to wherever it belongs. I don't know the era so I didn't know where

Default Very old U.S. buttons

Hi guys,

I have had these for a long time and I just wanted to ask, what are these exactly?

Mods, please move this thread to wherever it belongs. I don't know the era so I didn't know where to put them.

Thanks,
    Mo
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: Very old U.S. buttons

Span-Am or Civil War? Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Looks like typical Union Civil War to me. If you look on the web there are several web sites that deal strickly with military buttons. I have a few exactly like yours. I believe they are worth around 30-40$ each. Beware as there a ton of fakes. I quit picking them up after getting burned on a couple Confederate buttons. Didn't lose a bunch of money but was very dissapointed in myself for not paying attention. Yours look fine to me.

Burt

?

just got this brass button 1 1/8" dia ... marked Attleboro Falls on the back?????

Looks like WWI US to me.

Burt

?

They are Indian Wars period buttons for enlisted men. Not as valuable as civil war buttons. The easist way to tell the difference is by the shield on the eagle. Civil war button shields are flush with the button body. IW buttons are slightly raised.
    Note photo the civil war button is on the left and the IW button is on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by SteveR View Post
    They are Indian Wars period buttons for enlisted men. Not as valuable as civil war buttons. The easist way to tell the difference is by the shield on the eagle. Civil war button shields are flush with the button body. IW buttons are slightly raised.
    Note photo the civil war button is on the left and the IW button is on the right.
    Thank you very much for your help. I got these as a gift years ago and never got around to researching them. I'm pretty sure these are the oldest bits of militaria I have.

If your up for a swap with the double you have , let me know!!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris