MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very sad news: Arnhem Vet and George Medal winner has passed away

Article about: Hi Guys, I have some very sad news. A good friend of mine passed away on Tuesday after a short illness. His name was Laurence "Solly" Scott GM. He was 90 years old. He first joined

Default Very sad news: Arnhem Vet and George Medal winner has passed away

Hi Guys, I have some very sad news. A good friend of mine passed away on Tuesday after a short illness. His name was Laurence "Solly" Scott GM. He was 90 years old.

He first joined up in 1940 joining 8th Battl The Dorset Regt. Solly served with the XXI Indep Para Coy. He joined the Company in August 1942 after failing to become a Glider Pilot. He served in North Africa, Italy, Arnhem, Norway and Palestine.

At Arnhem Solly was a Eureka Beacon operator and Bren gunner. After wearing out every Bren gun barrel available, he took to using a No.4 rifle. When .303 ammo became scarce, he picked up a German K98, which he used to good effect. He even took this rifle back over the Rhine with him. He rose to the rank of Corporal.

After the war he become a Police Officer with the Met joining in September 1946 and in the 1960's won the high award for Bravery, the George Medal, when he disarmed an armed convict. He was decorated by the Queen. When he later got a desk job he kept the Medal in the desk drawer. If anyone wanted to see the medal, he would shake a childrens charity collection tin in front of them before the medal was taken out. Much to a senior Officer's horror, during a tour of inspection, he did this to the Chief Constable of the Met. The Chief had no money, so had to borrow some from a Superintendent before he got to see it! On another occasion a birthday card was sent around the Office for people to sign: Solly wrote a very rude remark in it as a joke, only later to find it was going to the Chief!

I had the priviledge to know Solly for ten years. He had a very dry sense of humour and always made me laugh. One day he was listening to me do a talk about British Airborne kit at one of the reunions. Afterwards he came over and said "You would make a good con man!" I replied coming from an ex CID officer, I would take that as a compliment!

RIP Solly. You will be greatly missed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: Very sad news: Arnhem Vet and George Medal winner has passed away

that is indeed sad news Ade he was a very heroic & courageous man RIP Laurence "Solly" Scott GM.

Thanks Nick.

Here is Solly stting in my Jeep in Arnhem during the 60th Anniversary commemorations in 2004. This was the first and last time he went back to Arnhem. There is a funny story to this photo. As he had forgotton his red beret, I loaned him mine for some photographs to be taken. When we had done, he walked off wearing it. So I had to chase after him to get it back. He replied that he used to have a beret but some re-enactor had nicked it off him!

I am sitting here thinking of some of the other funny stories he told me.

During the war Solly liked a drink. (But I never saw him drink much at all) He invented a drink which he called a "Lu-Lu", which was basically a cocktail of anything to hand. One day he was still very drunk next morning and on parade two comrades held him up by standing too close to him to keep him upright! Luckly the CO, Major Lander, was a bit shortsighted...

Another funny story involved a visit to a flea pit cinema in North Africa. They had been drinking "Creme de Banana" as it was all they could find. They sat in the upper circle seats, when one of the guys had to be sick due to the booze and the heat. So he was sick into the stall seats below.... However his two front false teeth also decended with the vomit. So Solly had to go and find them on the very dirty floor much to the anger the those in the seats covered in sick. He found the teeth and decided they should return to camp. As they came out of the cinema the same guy passed out due to the heat. Solly sat over him and slapped him around the face to try and bring him round as he was worried they were going to be late. A voice behind them said " Soldier, if you strike that man again, I will call the MP's" Solly without looking round, told the voice to "f Off" only when he did look around did he discover the voice belonged to the Padre!

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He sounded like a really nice man. I lost a really close friend of mine (Who was a part of the Norwegian resistance) in april, so i know how you must feel. R.I.P Laurence "Solly" Scott GM.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Hi Ade i'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Gary

?

RIP Solly AIRBORNE FOREVER .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Stand down Corporal.....RIP old lad.

YouTube - "Band of Brothers": THE SONG with LYRICS

Condolences, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sad news , another brave warrior leaves us! RIP

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Sorry about your loss, and rest in fellow combat vet.

Brian

may he R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast