Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Very scratch built ship!

Article about: Hello all, My friends wife manages a red cross charity shop. She keeps an eye out for anything militaria or naval for me. Yesterday she offered me this model. I was told it had been donated

Default Very scratch built ship!

Hello all,
    My friends wife manages a red cross charity shop. She keeps an eye out for anything militaria or naval for me. Yesterday she offered me this model. I was told it had been donated by and elderly man who said that he had made it during the war for his children, she said it was a destroyer.
    With the exception of the anchor flukes which have been replaced with bit's of old cable ties, and the bridge screen, made from a piece of plastic container. the props are of tin, everything else is constructed entirely from scrap cardboard, paper, and some old wood, dowel etc. I suppose these were all the materials available at the time? Overall length is 39 inches.
    I expect that despite it's rough and ready appearance it was a very appreciated present for the kid's in austere days?
    I was pleased to contribute ten pounds for this talking piece.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Very scratch built ship!

navyman, my Grandad used to make boats like yours in his spare time during the war. Hope you like this one that he made, I'm sure he would have approved of your boat
    Regards, Simon.

Hello Simon,
    Your Grandad's ship looks very good, I like it.
    I also enjoy scratch building, this is a smashed old submarine which I restored. It's 38 inches length overall. The pic's are from an earlier thread in the Historical figurines and scale model section on page 2. It shows the project from start to finish in case you may like to have a look?
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Wow, what a submarine. Looks good
    Regards, Simon.

Hi guy and Simon,
    Thanks for showing the scratch built models they are a reat way to see how some of the men past the time if any they had.
    I once had models made by my uncles brother of the Hood and the lucitania ( may on be spelt right ) they were in wood and glass cases. but when i left home i think my brother got hold of them,
    as i never saw them again, the only scratch built item i have is a
    hurricain aircraft made of wood. with tim prop, i got it from the man who made it, he said the canopy was a piece of perspex
    from a broken one. Nice little thing to have,
    dave.