Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visit to France

Article about: Ha I just edited the post at the same time you posted.!! Fred

Default Visit to France

Hello everyone,

Im after some of your suggestions. James and myself are off to France and Belgium for a few weeks next month. Cant wait! We are stopping at Bertangles chateau (the campsite they run) for a week then up to Ypres. Between March and August of 1918, Bertangles Chateau was the Australlian headquarters. Cannot Wait!

When we visited Flanders and the Somme region last year we visited many of the more well know places and cemeteries. The most surreal moment for me was visiting the cemetary at Authilles (where we were camping) and finding a grave of a young man from my home town (by accident).

I am wondering if any of you guys can recommend any places to visit whilst we are over there that are off the general tourist route

?

Default Re: Visit to France

Vicky/James,

You can take a look at the thread I started here and see if any of the places are of interest to you. I stayed in St Quentin which is only about 40kms (?) away from where you're staying so it's all in the same sort of area.

There are so many places to see in Northern France/Belgium and even Germany, it depends how far you want to travel and what you want to see.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Cheers Adrian. We did quite a lot last time but mainly focused around the Somme region as we tracked my great uncle who is on the Thiepval Memorial. We tend to drive somewhere, park up and see where we can get on our bikes of the beaten track. Our favorite museum is in Ypres. Its called the peace bar, and has a tiny museum round the back which is just superb, the beer is also pretty good which is a bonus!

?

Have you been to Verdun? I know it's a bit of a drive but there are some good cycle routes through the woods I believe. I think boar shooting should be finished by the time you go otherwise it will make it a little more interesting.

The Verdun memorial was being renovated when I went past it on the previous mentioned trip and it was shrouded in fog but pick the right day and you will have a good day out in that area.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Have you been to Verdun? I know it's a bit of a drive but there are some good cycle routes through the woods I believe. I think boar shooting should be finished by the time you go otherwise it will make it a little more interesting.

The Verdun memorial was being renovated when I went past it on the previous mentioned trip and it was shrouded in fog but pick the right day and you will have a good day out in that area.
    Might have to look at driving down for a few days. Sounds worth it

Hi

If you are going via calais and have time on the way back follow the d940 down the coast to Ambelteuse and visit the ww2 museum...........it is superb !

worth a de-tour any day.

cheers

Tony

?

Or make a detour to Wormhoudt. I went there a year ago but was really pressed for time and couldn't find the field with the barn.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Or make a detour to Wormhoudt. I went there a year ago but was really pressed for time and couldn't find the field with the barn.
    Thank you adrian, tuesday can not come around quick enough!!!

- - Updated - -

Quote by spandau View Post
    Hi

If you are going via calais and have time on the way back follow the d940 down the coast to Ambelteuse and visit the ww2 museum...........it is superb !

worth a de-tour any day.

cheers

Tony
    Just seen your post! Thanks Tony, i visited this a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. May have to visit again though!

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

A friend of mine, Floris Kok, runs a WWII Museum down in Normandy. I will get a chance to see it next Jan/Feb in the off season. I believe it is called "The Liberators Museun- Normandy 1944" He says that there is a very nice bar,bed and breakfast right next door!!

Fred

Quote by Fred Green View Post
    Hello,

A friend of mine, Floris Kok, runs a WWII Museum down in Normandy. I will get a chance to see it next Jan/Feb in the off season.

Fred
    Does the museum have a name? Could take a look on the way? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast