Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

VOC ship "DUYFKEN"

Article about: G'day all, today I took my family down to Fremantle for a nice feed of fish n chips and while we were there we decided to visit the replica Dutch East India Company ship "DUYFKEN"

Default VOC ship "DUYFKEN"

G'day all,
    today I took my family down to Fremantle for a nice feed of fish n chips and while we were there we decided to visit the replica Dutch East India Company ship "DUYFKEN" which was the first European ship to ever land on Australia. The Duyfken, which translates to Little Dove, landed in the Gulf of Carpentaria in Northern Australia in 1606, more than 160 years before Captain James Cook. This replica was built here in Fremantle, as was the replica of Cooks Endeavour, and is as close to authentic as is possible to produce. It is a truly amazing ship and it is easy to feel yourself transported back in time when walking its decks. It is not quite militaria but I hope you enjoy the pics,
    Cheers, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: VOC ship "DUYFKEN"

Sandgroper

These tall ships are really neat. Here in my area, on a yearly basis, there is a "tall ships" festival where these old ships and schooners come into ports for display. A day well spent with the family eating and enjoying the ships!

The history of this ship is obviously important if a repro was made of it! A fine job at that.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

They are lovely ships for sure mate, and this one is very important historically for Australia. I think they are magnificent, I love the high stern on these VOC ships, very impressive indeed.

Looks great Dave! They don't let her sit around like some 'Harbour Queen' either, this ship has done some serious voyages!! Here's a linky to the official website, looks like they're planning on sailing to Gallipoli in 2014 for the 100 year anniversary of the Anzac landings, that should be good.

Duyfken 1606 Replica Foundation

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

She is a beauty Ned and you are right, she really has been around! She has just returned from Sydney and she came the long way, up the east coast, across the top and down the W.A. Coast to Fremantle. In December they will be taking paying passengers out for 4 - 5 hour sailing trips, only $120 which I think is terrific value for money. I'll be booking my trip out! Glad you like the pics mate, cheers, Dave.

?

Thanks for sharing, I like these old ships.