Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

War & Peace Show - It's Happened Over Here Now! Relic Grenade Maims Female Collector.

Article about: A woman had part of her finger blown off when a supposed inert grenade she bought at a military show exploded in her hand. Sarah Bluck, from Sheerness, Kent, also suffered burns to her stoma

Default War & Peace Show - It's Happened Over Here Now! Relic Grenade Maims Female Collector.

A woman had part of her finger blown off when a supposed inert grenade she bought at a military show exploded in her hand.
    Sarah Bluck, from Sheerness, Kent, also suffered burns to her stomach, legs and arms during the incident at the War and Peace Revival show in Folkestone. She bought the device, she thought was harmless, from a stall on Saturday but it went off as she inspected it.

The trade stand owner said it would be inappropriate to comment while investigations were under way.
    The 48-year-old military enthusiast told BBC South East she was buying four empty grenade casings, to add to her military collection, but realised too late that one of them was a loaded stun grenade. She said there was a second explosion after she threw the device into her tent. Good job the kids were out at the ice cream van then...

Seems the oft given warnings on this forum are correct and bear taking on board.

BBC News - Woman's fingertip blown off by grenade blast at show

"I've been around explosives long enough to deal with pyrotechnics and thunder flashes and smoke grenades in the past." Yeah, right love.....I reckon she knew there was something wrong with it and she was trying to open it, but i'm a cynical barsteward.

I wonder if she or the vendor of said grenade is known to anyone here? Whatever, he's up $h!t creek now I reckon.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: War & Peace Show - It's Happened Over Here Now! Relic Grenade Maims Female Collector.

Quote by big ned View Post
    A woman had part of her finger blown off when a supposed inert grenade she bought at a military show exploded in her hand.
    Sarah Bluck, from Sheerness, Kent, also suffered burns to her stomach, legs and arms during the incident at the War and Peace Revival show in Folkestone. She bought the device, she thought was harmless, from a stall on Saturday but it went off as she inspected it.

The trade stand owner said it would be inappropriate to comment while investigations were under way.
    The 48-year-old military enthusiast told BBC South East she was buying four empty grenade casings, to add to her military collection, but realised too late that one of them was a loaded stun grenade. She said there was a second explosion after she threw the device into her tent. Good job the kids were out at the ice cream van then...

Seems the oft given warnings on this forum are correct and bear taking on board.

BBC News - Woman's fingertip blown off by grenade blast at show

"I've been around explosives long enough to deal with pyrotechnics and thunder flashes and smoke grenades in the past." Yeah, right love.....I reckon she knew there was something wrong with it and she was trying to open it, but i'm a cynical barsteward.

I wonder if she or the vendor of said grenade is known to anyone here? Whatever, he's up $h!t creek now I reckon.

Ned.
    Thank you for sharing Ned.

I had no idea this had happened. Most likely, next year show will suffer from this.

Cheers
    Nuno

Default Re: War & Peace Show - It's Happened Over Here Now! Relic Grenade Maims Female Collector.

Thanks for posting, Ned...A reminder for all of us that these devices were purpose-built...
    Working for Leasure's Treasures in the late '90s I recall the owner's wife showing me a
    Japanese Handgrenade saying "We're not quite sure about this one"...I never touched it.
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-25-2013 at 06:33 PM.

I was at the show last Saturday, and to be honest I seen quite a few bits and pieces or apparently inert ordinance and pyrotechnics that looked a tad suspicious to say the least. Typically if someone is a collector of such things they should know better than to buy then piss about with them if they suspect something isn't quite right. However, the fault will likely get completely pinned onto the seller who at least in my opinion should know better than to sell questionable items (but as we all know many sellers quite happily sell fakes that damage wallets, so why not grenades that damage your body?).

I'd like to find out who the seller is in this instance, I hope its the one that was very rude to me after I pointed out to a potential customer that many of his products had clearly been picked up off of firing ranges here in the UK, which is completely illegal to do.

Thanks

Danny

Any photos of your visit?
    cheers, Glenn

Unfortunately I didn't take many at all, I was far too excited by the sheer volume of military things to even consider getting my camera out for a few shots Next year I'll be sure to, I really wish that I had ever since sitting on the train back home.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Any photos of your visit?
    cheers, Glenn
    Here's one. Mrs Bluck's tent after the self inflicted "Fire in the hole!!" incident.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here's one. Mrs Bluck's tent after the self inflicted "Fire in the hole!!" incident.....
    I thought for a moment that this actually was the campsite at the show... however after a little flashback to the considerably tidier campsite at last years Download Music Festival I realised it wasn't.... unless the vehicle owners and re-enactors are more into sex, drugs and rock n' roll than a good few thousand young rock and metal fans

Thanks

Danny

?

Good job the kids were out at the ice cream van then...
    Actually Ned, they were in the tent at the time. The Royal Observatory in Greenwich has located them and are monitoring their orbit. NASA have confirmed they are now waiting to align the International Space Station with their trajectory and will try to bring them in.

Joking aside, it is just going to be a matter of time before an ignorant seller and buyer meet up and one goes off on the trade stand and amongst the crowds. Why are these people not vetted or other measures taken (no idea what) to ensure no live ordnance is sold or displayed at these shows.
    Everyone will then be asking why this could happen instead of being proactive about it.

We all know that playing with fireworks is dangerous, why don't people understand that playing with hand grenades can also ruin your and other people's day.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Sounds like her day ended with a bang...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast