Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A warning and a plea to all dog owners.

Article about: poor bety ,such a shame she couldnt be revived ,my thoughts are with the handler ,i understand the special bond this team must of had

?

Default A warning and a plea to all dog owners.

I know many of us here own dogs and in some cases work with dogs.

An unfortunate incident occurred here where I work a few days ago.

One of our military working dogs, Bety was out with her handler being exercised and carrying out continuation training. As part of the training, positive reinforcement is used. When a dog does well it is rewarded with a ball.

On this occasion, the ball was thrown for Bety and it became lodged in her throat. She started suffocating. Her handler was on hand to pull the rope that ran through the ball. The rope came away leaving the ball still lodged firmly in the back of her throat. He tried in vain to free it but it was too far back and he couldn't get his fingers around it nor through the hole where the rope came out.

After a short while she passed out. As her muscles relaxed he was able to dislodge the ball and clear her airway. He tried for ten minutes to resuscitate and revive her but unfortunately it was too late and she died before the vet could attend or she could be taken to the vets.

So, if you have a dog, please check the balls and toys you use with him or her. Make sure they are too big to be swallowed. Buy balls with ropes to assist removal if one does become stuck but make sure the rope is fit for purpose. Don't be complacent, this accident could've happened to anyone of us who own or work with dogs. Please be vigilant and be aware of what you use as you dog's playthings. If there is anything which you might look at in a different light now, bin it and buy something else.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: A warning and a plea to all dog owners.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, My thoughts are with the handler it is always traumatic to lose a dog and I think especially so when it is a working dog where the bonds of mutual trust and cameraderie are especially strong.

Damn - I hate to hear of this type of thing. I used to throw undersized balls with my dog, but became quite concerned at how far he could 'swallow' them. Have to say, threw them out and I'm using oversized.

I certainly feel for the handler.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I will double check all the dog's toys immediately.
    Thanks for your concern, Adrian.
    Luke

?

A very sobering reminder for all of us who have, own or work with animals Adrian.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Bad news!
    Thanks for the warning!
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Sometimes unfortunate instances like this do happen...and sadly to a trained animal serving in the military....but with this to happen ..only good will come out of it as to protect the dogs that are still alive and serving by re-evaluating what they can play with and or eat. Adjustments must be made by trial and error..and in all things in life..this is a given. With this happening ..this particular dog...just may have saved the lives of the other dogs and what they are playing with...the same with small children with small objects the put in their mouths. Sorry to hear this happen Adrain. Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very sad news Adrian. Thoughts and prayers go out to the dog and the handler. There is a special bond between a handler and his partner that only they truly understand. A tough road lies ahead for the handler and he will be very hard on himself. Handlers know the day will come to say goodbye, but not in a situation like this.

?

Oh man. That's horrible... Rest in peace Bety.

Regards, Lars

?

I should point out that the ball was an issue ball. We can't just go out and buy our own dog toys, they have to be bought via the MoD and through their recommended supplier who have to satisfy the MoD their equipment is functional and fit for use.
    On this occasion it sadly wasn't so even with all safety measures in place, accidents can and will happen.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast