Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This weekends harvest!

Article about: Guys, A mixed bag this week end with the best item being the LW flight calculator, followed by the book that has prints of servicemans sketches/paintings. A grotty looking British mess tin w

Default This weekends harvest!

Guys,

A mixed bag this week end with the best item being the LW flight calculator, followed by the book that has prints of servicemans sketches/paintings.

A grotty looking British mess tin which appears to be dated 41 but no crows foot? It is made of what looks like steel that has been tinned?

26 tins of carbide I should be ok to run some of my lamps now. I hope it does not end in disaster as I am known for blowing things up!

Nice POW item with the carved Knife fork spoon set.

Luftwaffe cap cockade.

Book about life of Ludendorf and his burial.

Afrika waterbottle dated 42.

Nice deck of cards produced for Altenburg SA, only 32 cards though as the Germans only play skat with ace down to 7 of the 4 suits.

A nice morse key.

A pertix torch sadly undated but looks ok?!
    The usual mix of feldpost and cards.

Nice mid war Inf H. Dv.130/2a with P38, egg grenades etc.

Two DRA sports badge docs.

A couple of maps.

A nice signals flag? I have seen this somewhere before but can't put my finger on it as they are normaly a 'Blitz' may be pre war, don't know?

If anyone has any swaps let me know and I would be pleased to barter!

Regards

Jock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: This weekends harvest!

Nice haul. Congrat's

Ty

The bits I missed!

Regards

Jock

Thats what I like the best as it is not as well copied at the moment. There are plenty of Arbietsbuch to be had, I generally only take the ones that have a military link, but I can keep my eyes peeled.
    You forced me to look at the feldpost from today and its a bit more interesting than I thought. To a Luftwaffe Hilferien Hilde Kracke at Luftwaffe nachtrichten ubungstelle Kiel, again if there are specific FP Numbers your after I can have a dig arround, not saying I'll find them but you never know.

Regards

Jock

Love that book Jock. I had a good "haul" today, its going to take me a week to upload it all. I haven't forgotten the photos i'm supposed to take for you, i promise i will

Hi Jock, once again, well done on your haul.

The British mess tin is indeed 1941 dated. The lack of WD broad arrow is not unusual. These tinned steel mess tins were dropped by mid war as they went over to alloy ones.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Guys,

A mixed bag this week end with the best item being the LW flight calculator, followed by the book that has prints of servicemans sketches/paintings.

A grotty looking British mess tin which appears to be dated 41 but no crows foot? It is made of what looks like steel that has been tinned?

26 tins of carbide I should be ok to run some of my lamps now. I hope it does not end in disaster as I am known for blowing things up!

Nice POW item with the carved Knife fork spoon set.

Luftwaffe cap cockade.

Book about life of Ludendorf and his burial.

Afrika waterbottle dated 42.

Nice deck of cards produced for Altenburg SA, only 32 cards though as the Germans only play skat with ace down to 7 of the 4 suits.

A nice morse key.

A pertix torch sadly undated but looks ok?!
    The usual mix of feldpost and cards.

Nice mid war Inf H. Dv.130/2a with P38, egg grenades etc.

Two DRA sports badge docs.

A couple of maps.

A nice signals flag? I have seen this somewhere before but can't put my finger on it as they are normaly a 'Blitz' may be pre war, don't know?

If anyone has any swaps let me know and I would be pleased to barter!

Regards

Jock

Nice stuff!, Two questions please.

1) What's in those tin cans? Rations?
    2) The first postcard to the left-just above that black book with a sword on it. The Imperial colorized one. The person looks familiar to me. Would that person be the Grand Duke of Mecklinburg-Schwerin? If so, I also have a nice postcard of him from that series-in mint condition. I also own his 7-place Ribbonbar :-D

John,

It might be too late as he would prefer cash, still I tried!

Ade, they are horrible things and quite heavy too compared with the aluminium ones. I suppose they looked better 60 years ago but I wouldn't like to eat my snap out of them!

History buff, I can't make out the signature on the postcard but will post a better pic for you, it was sent as Feldpost in 1915. The tins are calcium carbide a fuel used in certian lamps during the war and before. I understand from a German pal that electric lamps took over after the war as they were less messy but that they would go fishing with the stocks of tins as when thrown into water they take out all the oxygen and release hydrogen, result dead fish for the taking.

History Buff,

As promised photos.

Regards

Jock

Hi Jock, I think there were actually health concerns over these kind of tinned steel mess tins and that was one of the reasons for the change? Here are of couple of mine which don't look bad. The are '41 dated and made by the Metal Box Co.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast