Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What did soldiers do with their gear?

Article about: Sorry if this is the wrong section. In documentary's and movies, I always see soldiers go into battle with a backpack, blanket, and a bunch of other stuff. But later, it shows them with just

Catinthebat
    ?

Default What did soldiers do with their gear?

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

In documentary's and movies, I always see soldiers go into battle with a backpack, blanket, and a bunch of other stuff. But later, it shows them with just basic ammo belt, canteen, and a first aid kit. What happened to the rest of it? Did they just throw it away to reduce weight? If so, they couldn't carry food, did they just eat whatever they found?

Also, wouldn't they not be allowed to do that? This was all troubling me for weeks now. Any help would be appreciated.

?

Default Re: What did soldiers do with their gear?

Well Im not 100% sure but I would thought they would centrilised the CEMO "Combat Equipment Marching Order" with say their SQMS,CQMS,their stores people who in turn would bring it up after the battle..but saying that it isnt never that simple!!!...Priorities would be ammo,water,in & wounded out..that would then leave the soldiers wearing an order called CEFO "Combat Equipment Fighting Order"which would normally do the average soldier 24 hours of fighting!!!!.....Hope that helped a little.. Cheers Terry.

Terry is right. In the case of German soldiers - the Tornister pack and other personal items would be left in transport or at a location such as a camp or building established as a rallying point behind the lines. This is my understanding. You cannot bring everything in your kit with you to the front line. NH

Nothing would be thrown away! Each soldiers issued piece of kit was entered into his Soldbuch ( pages 6-7 ) and he was responsible for it and would have to pay if it were lost so items held at rear depots had to be retrieved at some point.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I can't speak for any Army other than the US Army. What an infantryman carried with him depended on the situation and the mission. In WWII, most personal equipment was left in the rear and the GI carried only what was esential, C- or K- rations extra socks, poncho, shelter half, and all his combat gear including extra ammo. If he was part of a crew-served weapons crew, he carried ammo and weapon parts in addition to his basic combat load. In Korea, it was much the same as WWII. If he was going to be out in the field on an extended patrol or operation, he could easily be humping a 60 pound, or heavier, pack, mostly weapons, ammo, and gear. The longer he stayed out, the lighter the load became, but it was always heavy. That's one reason I opted for armor, everything went into the turret bustle, including 20 gallons of fresh water. Dwight