Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What does the First World War mean to you?

Article about: My Grandfather having his ankle shot away at the Somme, disabled for life in an instant. He was relatively lucky though. Andy

Default Re: What does the First World War mean to you?

It is true some wars are a waste of lives but equally there are many that are not.

However is also true there are lives wasted in all wars.

Growing up under the Cold War cloud I will always remember this Einstein quote:

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

CBH
    ?

As a Canadain I remember the Great War as true birth of our nation . A time when we came into our own , as a great nation , not just a former British colony . We fought above our weight as it were . Yes it was a difficult birth , and we paid a very high price . We are just as far from the battle fields as the US , but we remember ! In November it's hard to find someone without a poppy , we wrote the poem after all . As for the war itself , it was the end of classical warfare . No longer fought by men , but fought by machines . We went from flying kites to heavy bombers , from rifles to machine guns . And there is no turning back .

WW1 had a huge impact here in Australia, virtually every Australian family was touched by a war half a world away. Population wise ours was a small country but Australia contributed a great many servicemen to the cause and every one of them was a volunteer. Many Australians view our nations contribution as the true birth of Australia as a nation. As I look at my great grandfathers WW1 service medals, I must say that I do share that sentiment. Lest we forget.

Quote by CBH View Post
    As a Canadain I remember the Great War as true birth of our nation . A time when we came into our own , as a great nation , not just a former British colony . We fought above our weight as it were . Yes it was a difficult birth , and we paid a very high price . We are just as far from the battle fields as the US , but we remember ! In November it's hard to find someone without a poppy, we wrote the poem after all.
    IMO there is a difference, Canada entered into WWI in August 1914 and suffered a casualty rate of almost 40%.

As Great Britain went to war so did India, Canada and Australia who came to Britain's aid.

I believe India supplied some 1.5 million volunteer troops. The Indian Corps won 13,000 medals for gallantry including 12 Victoria Crosses!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

To many military historians, WWI was the most historically significant event of the 20th Century. With respect to Western society, politics, and economy, WWI was the event that ended the 19th Century and launched the 20th Century. But WWI was just the first phase of the Thirty-Years War that completed the transisition in 1945. The first phase (1914-1918) destroyed the Europen social structure, marked the begining of the end of Colonialism, with disasterous economic impact on the remaining colonial powers, and restructured international commerce. The twenty-years that followed were simply a pause in the war that provided a breathing period for the principal protagonists to rest, recover, and rearm for the second round, 1939-45. The last phaes of the Thirty-Years War (1939-45) destroyed entirely whatever was left of 19th Century society and structure. Some historians believe that the massive upheaval that started in 1914 and ended in 1945, was so revolutionary in effect that the 20th Century, as a clearly identifiable social, economic, and political period, lasted for only 30 years, 1945-75, before it began to disassemble and evolve into a global society who's social, economic, and political structure is still developing. In that historical school of thought, WWI was the most important event of the 19th and 20th Centuries, without which none of the subsequent events would have occurred. Something else would have happened, since change is inevitable, but what those events would have been, and how they might have played out, are purely speculative. But the fact is, had WWI not been fought, we would not live in the world in which we live today. I don't know if that's good or bad. Dwight

Stay in line gents with the title of the thread and do not let it cross over in separating a nation of people,, which is not the topic of this thread. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Paul E View Post
    As i said this isn't the case this isn't the case in the UK at all , WW1 is still very much part of the National identity , concience and history of the nation , as all our families were touched by the war to end all wars it lies in everyones famliy history and as tracing that has become more popular interst in war has actually increased not decreased and it has long been part of the schools curiculam .

Every night of the year at the Menin Gate in Ypres the local Fire Brigade Buglers play the last post and the gate will be packed with Britons and other nationalities hundreds of whom will be British school kids !!

As Gallipoli was the coming of age Militarily of the ANZAC Forces on the World Stage , the Battles of the Argonne etc were the same for the States yet it is something that is being forgotten in one of the Worlds most Patriotic countries , i must admit to being somewhat surprised by that !!
    Yes Paul,
    I was present at the Menin Gate in June 2011, there were 6 Buglers that evening, and it was quite an experience, I recommend anyone with an interest in WW1 to try and experience it. Ypres took quite a hold of me and I did not want to leave !! I intend being there again on the evening of October 17, 2017, it will be 100 years since my great uncle; my dear Grandfather’s older brother lost his life, aged 20 years, during the 3rd battle of Ypres Passchendaele, here he is pictured with his Grandmother, whom brought them all up, I can only assume before he left for the front, this is the only picture we have of him
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi

I wouldn't go as far to say what Chris said was insensitive. He was just voicing a opinion.

Cameron

Singling out a nation of being narrow minded is not an opinion. Ignorance is worldwide and not in one set hemisphere. I would suggest to leave the issue alone and keep with the original intent of the thread.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi

My apologies.

Cameron

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast