Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

What happened to Joachim Peipers things?

Article about: Residents also wrote this on the road to his house, it was later washed away.

Default What happened to Joachim Peipers things?

I have a great interest in Joachim Peiper, and I have always wondered what happened to his uniforms and Ritterkreuz and things like that.

Does anyone know?
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: What happened to Joachim Peipers things?

I know one of Peiper's uniforms, is on display at the Virginia War Museum, it has the Tank Badge with "50." His rank on the uniform is an Obersturmbannführer. And that is all I know of his things, but that is a great question. I will fly out to the Museum this week hopefully and i will post some pics of the Uniform
    Last edited by AKbear; 08-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote by AKbear View Post
    I know one of Peiper's uniforms, is on display at the Virginia War Museum, it has the Tank Badge with "50." His rank on the uniform is an Obersturmbannführer. And that is all I know of his things, but that is a great question. I will fly out to the Museum this week hopefully and i will post some pics of the Uniform
    That would be great

?

His gasmask canister and a couple of other items were on display in the Bayeaux War Museum. I'll see if I have any pictures.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The personal map holder of the Obersturmbannführer SS Jochen Peiper, commander of the 1st Panzer SS in Stoumont-La Gleize; is on public display in the December 44 museum of La Gleize . It was recovered the day after the fighting had stopped following Joachims successful escape from encirclement. It had been left near the Tiger II no 213 that is displayed just outside the museum. His name is written on the map holders front. (see pic)

A strange one but a couple of years back I remember Joachins former bath was displayed at the War and Peace show in Beltring. Wooden sides had been fitted and these were painted in Normandy camo I think it shared the display with another bath belonging to Monty. Joachims bath had been recovered from the remains of his home in Traves (France) after the short Police investigation into his death/murder. Sadly I didn't take any pics but hopefully another forum member will remember this or post pic's.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    His gasmask canister and a couple of other items were on display in the Bayeaux War Museum. I'll see if I have any pictures.
    Not a fan of that Museum.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Why is that Chris ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    It's not the best museum in Normandy. A few years ago when I saw Peiper's things there it was a great collection of artifacts, loads of items in many display cases everywhere. Last time I went it had changed, there were still some good displays but the number of things on display was reduced and the decor and layout was quite modern. For example, instead of a decent sized case with seven or eight visor caps to look at there would be one visor cap, a dagger and a couple of other items in one display, it just seemed very minimalistic by comparison.
    The large displays still have some interesting items but the lighting was poor and this made the artifacts hard to see properly, too many shadows and too many reflections from the things behind you! Photography is also banned but I took a few pics discretely without flash.
    Here are a couple of photos of displays to give an idea. Look beyond the subject of the photo and in those damn reflections and you can get an idea of the modern museum 'look'. There was more room given over to large reproduced photos and poster type displays of unit badges, shoulder flashes and the like than showing the 'real' stuff!
    First impression was very good, second impression was poor.

Adrian

Which items are Pipers' on your photos?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Adrian

Which items are Pipers' on your photos?

Nick
    Sorry Nick, nothing in the pics belongs to Peiper. I didn't see his stuff last time I went and since the museum changed it's layout. It was a few years ago I saw his belongings when the museum was in it's previous and better state.
    I only posted the pics to give an idea of how the place is today. I couldn't find any photos from my previous visit.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast