Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

what is the oldest item you have in your collection?

Article about: I too have a small collection of fossils etc. But in terms of militaria the oldest item I have is probably a Napoleonic era British Artillery button that came in a box of odds at auction. Th

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Got it from my grandfather who's father brought it back from the first war. I don't know much about them but believe they were private purchase?
    ( I don't know how GGF acquired it as he was a stretcher bearer in the RAMC )

Cheers, Dan
    Perhaps Your GGF used it when business got a bit quiet

My oldest would be this sword stand for Katana's made from Sika deer antlers. Okinawa, ca. 19th century. Would be nice to see some swords on it, might have to remedy that soon.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    My oldest would be this sword stand for Katana's made from Sika deer antlers. Okinawa, ca. 19th century. Would be nice to see some swords on it, might have to remedy that soon.
    Unique sword stand :P

(Left)Gorden highlanders officers large badge Circa 1893-1910 ,and a Scottish clan badge circa 1915(Right)

image.jpg

?

This is so fascinating!!!

hey there!
    Interesting Thread!

My oldest item is a so-called "Marschzirkel". It was used by cavalry units in order to find out how long the march from point A to point B would take. It could be used for maps in two different scales.
    I have never seen it elsewhere. I could only find out the patent which is dated 1891.

PICT7095.jpg

Here is a Krieger ver cross from the 1870 Prussian war from the city of HEYEN.
    Issued to veterans on the 27 may 1902

Heyen is a municipality in the district of Holzminden, in Lower Saxony, Germany.

My daughter was born on the 27 may
    image.jpg

Quote by Alexander View Post
    I think the Greek laws are designed to protect cultural items disappearing into private hands, but mostly items dug / found today. There are huge numbers of items in private hands already whose provenance has been lost, mostly items collected over the past two centuries. I have some small Greek items, also some Greek coins. They are perfectly legal to own in this country. However, I couldn't go to Greece, or anywhere for that matter, and just dig something up and keep it. Here in the UK you have to declare anything of value found, it may go to a museum if important enough (the finder receiving a financial reward based on its value) or, if not of cultural importance, you, or the landowner, get to keep it.

Anyhow, here are some tools I own.

Small flint Danish neolithic axe, circa 5000 years old and a late Bronze age axe from Northern France, circa 700BC. These would have been used by early Europeans clearing woods and fields. These flint axes are quite common.

Attachment 562210Attachment 562209
    Are you sure the bronze axe is original, and not a re-cast? It is not like the bronze axe heads I have found in France detecting, its missing the wear and patina I'm used to. Did you buy this artifact, or find it yourself?

This thread has a wonderful assortment of antiques to take in.

Well it's not in my personal collection. It belongs to my uncle, brought back by my grandad. I guess you could say its more of a family collection piece. And since the family has had it since the 40's, I would consider it the oldest piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast