Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

what is the oldest item you have in your collection?

Article about: I too have a small collection of fossils etc. But in terms of militaria the oldest item I have is probably a Napoleonic era British Artillery button that came in a box of odds at auction. Th

Quote by herrzark View Post
    wow.Roman emperor of the Empire King of Germany and Jerusalem.Majestic words ..
    who knows how my grandmother had this coin.she was living some years in Germany.maybe she found it there..Thank you very much Daniel for the translate and your help
    No problems, i think its a refrence to the holy roman empire whos last king/emperor was Austrian.

My father got this in the late 40's. We only know that it was made sometime around 1450. It's not military but it is old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry but 1450; is a very wrong dating for thise clock in my opion.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    |<

My father studied watch making at Rolex and based the age on the design of the gears. It has markings that if real trace it to Louis the 11th. There are dozens of clocks in his home over 200 years old. There is no way to prove or disprove the age of this clock though.

I'm at his home right now. He said this clock has the movement dated 1790. It was placed in a home in Hamburg in 1852 and wasn't moved until he purchased it in 1952. He said the dust on top of it was 2 inches thick when they moved it. The owner said his grandfather purchased it for the home in 1852 when the home was built. When I was younger my father kept several of these rare old clocks running all the time. At 86 he doesn't worry about them anymore. He started collecting clocks at the end of WWII. After he got out of the military his hobby led him to the jewelry business.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Logictox; 01-23-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Trust me there is,but it ain't no clock forum here.
    I 'll be happy to continue thise discution else were.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Guys,

A lot of very nice stuff you have presented ! Thanks for showing.
    This is some of my oldest stuff, on militaria.
    A Danish made Georg Christensen duelling pistol (one of the pair I have) from about 1850.
    The caliber is 12mm and the barrel treaded. I actually shoot these guns, and my best result so far with this gun is 97 out of 100 !Done on a practice day, but still up to the world record for this type of gun ;-)
    The other one is a Starr .36cal double action from the American civil war. Not a type you see very often, and it has the inspectors marks on the handle ! Issued to the North Navy. Very fun and surprisingly accurate to shoot ;-D It is possible to select single or double action !

Mfg
    MarcDSC_0005.jpg

Well, it's taken awhile, but I finally tripped across the box that had the Irish antiquities in them that I had mentioned. I had always intended to mount them in a shadow box display, but I doubt that will happen now. I picked these up from a couple of different Irish sources. The stone bits came from an archeologist's collection in Londonderry and were found there by himself when the government nicely decided to put a road way through a Celtic mound site. The Bronze arrowhead came from a source near Macroom and was found years ago while cutting turf. Stone and bronze tools are very common in Europe and Africa, but Irish pieces are extremely hard to find and even more so to obtain. I've had these pieces for quite some time now.

The Axe head has a very fine and intact edge to it and still bears museum number markings. It was discovered in a small river bed-as can be seen by the iron deposit rust stains. The thumbnail scraper (for fine work like arrowshafts, etc) and the larger general purpose one were found not too far from the curved stone knife. They date to approximately the Irish Neolithic age at about 4,000BC. The Bronze arrow, of course, is somewhat "younger" at around 2000BC.

scrapers.JPG
    arrows.JPG
    axe.JPG
    Last edited by Wagriff; 07-20-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by stuka f View Post
    |<
    Indeed, the dial is totally wrong for the date and the style is more in keeping with much later French mantle clocks. Any markings on it purporting to the earlier date are going to be spurious and would just be part of the archaic style of the piece and its decorative scheme IMHO.

Still a nice clock if you like this type, but not mid 15th century.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A Mid 15th century clock?? Does it have a fusee movement in it? For that age, it would have to, as clock springs and gears were quite primitive at that time and ran solely on chains and gut cording. It looks an awful lot similar to a French style 3 piece mantle clock of the late 1800's that were extremely popular for the era, based on the style and appearance. I would very much like to see a well lit shot of the interior of the back of it, though, to be more exact. What is it made of? It looks much too brassy to be solid bronze, but perhaps spelter? If it was composed of nearly 570 year old bronze, there is no hinting of any green verdigris that can be seen or any darkening from centuries of patina.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

For Jerry, my Roman Gold ring found in UK...

Bague seb.jpg

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast