Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

what is the oldest item you have in your collection?

Article about: I too have a small collection of fossils etc. But in terms of militaria the oldest item I have is probably a Napoleonic era British Artillery button that came in a box of odds at auction. Th

Quote by Alexander View Post
    I think the Greek laws are designed to protect cultural items disappearing into private hands, but mostly items dug / found today. There are huge numbers of items in private hands already whose provenance has been lost, mostly items collected over the past two centuries. I have some small Greek items, also some Greek coins. They are perfectly legal to own in this country. However, I couldn't go to Greece, or anywhere for that matter, and just dig something up and keep it. Here in the UK you have to declare anything of value found, it may go to a museum if important enough (the finder receiving a financial reward based on its value) or, if not of cultural importance, you, or the landowner, get to keep it.

Anyhow, here are some tools I own.

Small flint Danish neolithic axe, circa 5000 years old and a late Bronze age axe from Northern France, circa 700BC. These would have been used by early Europeans clearing woods and fields. These flint axes are quite common.

Attachment 562210Attachment 562209
    great items..Yes you have Greek items , i am Greek and dont have.is it wrong or it isnt?of course i know that many diggers past years solld elegally items and laws want to protect it but only for coins it should be allowed and here.they are not statues

Although i unfortunately don't have a date on it, The oldest item in my collection is most probably this Naval telescope that has been in my Family for quite some time. I put it up on the forum a while back, and it was suggested that it was probably late 1800's. from what I know it was made in Devon port and was obviously used by one of my Fathers relatives as his family was involved with the RN till just after the war. And as I understand it was also used by his father to spot incoming planes at The Isle of Wight radio station Iain the Second World War. So it has quite a nice piece of history to me. And I'm very proud to own it
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I believe my oldest item is this War of 1812 American ammo pouch.

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg
    Last edited by relicz; 08-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Nice items!

Quote by The Boy In Battle Dress View Post
    Although i unfortunately don't have a date on it, The oldest item in my collection is most probably this Naval telescope that has been in my Family for quite some time. I put it up on the forum a while back, and it was suggested that it was probably late 1800's. from what I know it was made in Devon port and was obviously used by one of my Fathers relatives as his family was involved with the RN till just after the war. And as I understand it was also used by his father to spot incoming planes at The Isle of Wight radio station Iain the Second World War. So it has quite a nice piece of history to me. And I'm very proud to own it
    Nice telescope.

As a matter of interest, how many draw tubes does it have? Just the one?

And....does it have a leather covered barrel under what appears to be cord?

Cheers
    Tim

As far as I'm aware it only has 1 draw tube, but when fully extended its about 32inches in all. And the cord covering seems to be waxed into place or something because its pretty rock solid and won't budge. If you have any ideas or suggestions about it, I'd be grateful to hear them as I don't know an awful lot about the item itself

Thanks Stan

^^For some reason I just find telescopes fascinating. I don't know a lot about them, so the rest of the post is pure conjecture.

Cox was certainly a reputable maker of telescopes in the 1800's. I find the cord interesting. It could be just because the original covering started to come off. I wouldn't have thought it was just waxed into place, but waxing the outer makes sense - I would imagine that it would make it slightly more waterproof. Can you make out the lower inscription? Can't really read it. What is the diameter?

If you can give me some more details I can ask a couple of people, but can't guarantee that I'll be able to help.

It is a very nice item and with the history behind it you are justifiably proud.

Cheers
    Tim

Here is the oldest, and one of the favourite pieces in my collection of gas masks, and chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear protection equipment. A First World War Corrected English Model (CEM) American Small Box Respirator (ASBR). I usually stick to British equipment, however I had to have this as its in great shape, and I really liked the trench art on the carrier.
    IMGP0183.jpg

The mask, hose and filter. All of which is in quite good shape considering its age. The only downside being that they flapped type exhale valve has dried up and broken off. Apart from that, there is very little rust, and the hose is still quite flexible.

IMGP0185.jpg
    Close up of the artwork on the carrier, if anyone knows what WIC means, let me know!

Thanks

Danny

?

Great items , gentlemen!
    I have a few old items in my collection. Eric Z. Gave me some nice chert indian arrowheads, but I put them in a safe place, so ill post my next oldest items.

Here are a few early Roman coins and some type of metal square with four holes. The thin coin has a head stamped on it with writing around it. The reverse has a gladiator fighting scene. The gladiators standing with the helmet on is spearing his victim who is on the ground.( my favorite)
    The thick coin has another head and the reverse shows a human figure standing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

15th century Russian icon

PICT0522.jpg

Regards, Lars

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast