Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What will happen to your collection when you're gone?

Article about: I would hope that I am a long ways away from being six-feet-under, but I've always wondered what will happen to my collection when I'm gone. I think family members and friends would be very

Default What will happen to your collection when you're gone?

I would hope that I am a long ways away from being six-feet-under, but I've always wondered what will happen to my collection when I'm gone.

I think family members and friends would be very happy to receive my WWII rifles, but I'm not so sure about my helmet collection and other militaria... Perhaps I'll donate them to the F.D.R. Presidential Mansion & Library... it's only 5miles down the road!

So fellows, what will happen to your collection when you're gone? Have you made any plans?

?

Default Re: What will happen to your collection when you're gone?

I will be leaving mine to my son (currently 7 months old) , but hopefully it wont be for sometime as im only 27 lol

All sorted.

It is going to my Grandson, whom I have brainwashed since birth (now aged 9) and he is really interested in the whole subject.

I honestly would not leave anything to a museum having seen first hand how many operate. Better to sell it and enjoy the money or let your family enjoy the money.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I feel like I'm too young for children, but when/ if I do, of course they'd be first in line for my collection if they showed a genuine interest. I guess helping them out financially would be ok, too!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I honestly would not leave anything to a museum having seen first hand how many operate.
    What do you mean exactly, Ade?

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I feel like I'm too young for children, but when/ if I do, of course they'd be first in line for my collection if they showed a genuine interest. I guess helping them out financially would be ok, too!

What do you mean exactly, Ade?
    Most donations to Museums are dumped into a dusty cupboard or storeroom never to see the light of day !! My local infantry Regt museum has thousands of sets of medals donated by families which have never nor will be on display !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Most donations to Museums are dumped into a dusty cupboard or storeroom never to see the light of day !! My local infantry Regt museum has thousands of sets of medals donated by families which have never nor will be on display !!

I thought they'd have some sort of rotation system to keep the displays fresh and interesting. Guess not! What a shame!

?

its madness , its also an insult to the people who give the museum the pieces IMO, im sure if they knew what happened to them they would never give them to the museum in the first place

I will hopefully have a nice inheritance for my son who had his first birthday at the weekend! I am only 28 myself so plenty of time to get a wall like Doug B

I want to pass my collection down the line but my wife want me to sell it when I retire and buy a place in the sun !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Maybe sell it before I pass on (to buy more stuff?), or the wife will sell it when I am gone.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast