Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What is your favourite battle of WW 2 ?

Article about: For me.. Kursk.. the biggest clash of armour in history !! Nick

Default Re: What is your favourite battle of WW 2 ?

How bout Pearl Harbor,Midway,Philippines,Aleutians Islands(they could have kept coming.)There was another front during WWII.

Quote by KSH View Post
    You might find this article interesting, Nick: The Battle of Kursk - I sure did when I first read it...

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    Thanks Kenneth, very interesting

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    You might find this article interesting, Nick: The Battle of Kursk - I sure did when I first read it...

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Good read Kenneth. Makes me want to do a little research on some of his comments. Overall an excellent essay that brings up some interesting points

Normandy because all of the first hand accounts ive heard from it, the battle of the bulge for the same reason and the seeming impossible task of survival, which would also go along with Tarawa and Iwo Jima, whom my great uncle was the only survivor in his squad to walk off of the Island... And all of the Afrika campaign it has been one of my main interests lately. If id have to pick one it would be the bulge. -Ben

The Battle of Arnhem: been there about 17 times and privledged to have known many Veterans who fought there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Berlin & Budapest for me. Stewy

The Ardennes to me , probably because it is the nearst by, and because I heard such a lot of storys about it by people who were there , most civilians.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Has to be Stalingrad...imagine being trapped in the kessel once the Sovied pincers closed.

I think the Battle of the Scheldt has to be one of my big ones. Although it's not one of the 'big name' campaigns, in terms of supply and logistics it was absolutely crucial to have Antwerp open for the whole Allied effort. This is borne out by the fact that the Battle of the Bulge was primarily a (deluded) German plan to close Antwerp again.

It was also a hard won fight in awful terrain, and, although primarily a Canadian battle, British, Polish and US troops were under their command, so it was also a good example of inter-Allied co-operation.

Rob

4md
    ?

I go through stages where i get obsessed about a certain battle and read as many books as i can find on that battle, these obsessions can last a few weeks to a few months to a few years, at the moment its the battle of the bulge, which iv been studying on and off for 2 years.

But i would say my favorite has to be Stalingrad closely followed by Tobruk......theres something about a seige

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast