Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What Was Your First Fake?

Article about: t When i was a 13yr old snotty little kid a regular haunt of mine was The Angel at Islington every Saturday, on one of the stalls there was a nice looking pole eagle in a lovely looking gold

Default Re: What Was Your First Fake?

When I was 11 I bought an Iron Cross from a guy that had set up a small stall in a mall. I had saved for a while to buy something German as I was just getting interested in history. I remember asking him several times if it was real, and being amazed that it was, with his assurances, after all he was an expert.

It is so obviously a fake.

I still have it, and keep it around for two reasons.

1) there's people in the world low enough to steal from a kid

2) never be that guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RJ Oliver
    ?

My first fake was an SS butterfly knife. Purchased it at a gun show. Dealer built it up to me just short of being Hitlers own pocket knife. Went to a friends house who was a german collector and he started to laugh. He said well, you too have gotten bit by the fake bug. I was livid. The guy missed the next couple shows. This was in the days before the Internet so I contacted a friend who was a detective. He found his address and phone number. I showed up at his door step, when he answered the door I handed him the knife w/o speaking a word. "I wondered how long it would take" was all he could squeak out. "I have been trying to unload that mistake for years."
    Now, I am a very large man, Probably more than twice his size. In my best impression of Hill Street Blues Mick Belker, I growled, showed my teeth and said "what are YOU going to do about it scumbag!" He let me pick my choice of guns from his inventroy. I picked a nicely marked Czech CZ 25 cal. As I turned to walk out of his garage, I quickly grabbed the knife out of his hands, reached under my jacket, pulled out a hidden BFH and smashed the knife on the floor until it was not recognizale as a knife.

I got an education and a nice period pistol with holster. The only thing is that I still have not been able to track down a clip. Can anyone help?

I purposely bought a Knights Cross w/ Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds...in gold. And a 1914 Grand Cross. Shameless I know, but they look cool! Will trade for originals, haha!

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    When I was 11 I bought an Iron Cross from a guy that had set up a small stall in a mall. I had saved for a while to buy something German as I was just getting interested in history. I remember asking him several times if it was real, and being amazed that it was, with his assurances, after all he was an expert.

It is so obviously a fake.

I still have it, and keep it around for two reasons.

1) there's people in the world low enough to steal from a kid

2) never be that guy.

What a complete jerk he was

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Not strictly a fake but ...............I can't name the dealer, for legal reasons........... He's still in business,.....................

In 1974, I bought an SS brocade belt and buckle, from a flea shop in East London, where I lived, for a few quid. I really believed that it was real. I took it to this dealer in Islington Who told me it was a terrible fake, and laughed at me offering 50% above what I paid for it. Being gullible, I reluctantly took the money, and apologised for wasting his time. I went back to the shop about a week later to browse, and the proprietor wasn't around, but his assistant was chatting to another "customer" in the shop bragging about how some stupid kid had sold a real belt and buckle for peanuts, and should have known better they had a good laugh about it............... I've never forgotten that

And i've got my own back a few times too...............

I know you don't want to name the dealer....but it's that kind of crap that makes this hobby what it is!!! If that would have happened to me: I would have his name smeared all over the place...BIG TIME.....that just isn't right. Sorry about that.....dealers should not be out to trick people out of their collectibles!
    Rob

Quote by lach470 View Post
    ....but it's that kind of crap that makes this hobby what it is!!!
    Rob
    It is not just happening in the militaria branche...it even still happens to me, regulary !!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by lach470 View Post
    I know you don't want to name the dealer....but it's that kind of crap that makes this hobby what it is!!! If that would have happened to me: I would have his name smeared all over the place...BIG TIME.....that just isn't right. Sorry about that.....dealers should not be out to trick people out of their collectibles!
    Rob
    Ok Rob.................... He's Jewish, and now his son runs most of it, He has just bought a large Italian collection, a lot of which, I might add is fake .

I'll probably get done at the next show

?

when I was a kid I bought my very first HJ buckle from the only antique shop here in town who sells german militaria. I was 14 or 15, it turned out to be a fake and I was ripped off. The guy is still there after 25 years and still selling fake items, in his shop and on internet.

?

I bought several fake pieces last weekend. Ordinarily I only buy from two dealers that I know and trust, but they werent at the last gun show due to all the snow that Virginia got last week. There was a dealer there I'd never seen before and he had a few German items mixed in with the random assortment of gun parts and ammunition he was selling. I bought an SS collar tab, a cuff title, and two mothers crosses. The SS tab glows under blacklight, and the crosses and cuff title are both obvious fakes (obvious now that I've researched it anyway). So its my fault for buying items I was unfamiliar with, from a dealer I didnt know, but it still irritates me because he assured me they were real.

I just dont know what to do with them now, I dont want to display them, and I dont want to pass them along, just in case someone else tries to sell them as authentic.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast