Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

whats the edelweiss /nazi connection

Article about: Gentlemen, the"Gebirgsjäger, (in English, Mountain Riflemen) is the German designation for mountain infantry. The word Jäger (huntsman or hunter) is the traditional German term for rifl

Default Re: whats the edelweiss /nazi connection

Gentlemen, the"Gebirgsjäger, (in English, Mountain Riflemen) is the German designation for mountain infantry. The word Jäger (huntsman or hunter) is the traditional German term for rifleman (often confused with skirmisher or light infantry, known as Fusiliers in Germany). The mountain infantry of Austria have their roots in the three Landesschützen regiments of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The mountain infantry of Germany carry on certain traditions of the Alpenkorps (Alpine corps) of World War I. Both countries' mountain infantry share the Edelweiß insignia. It was established in 1907 as a symbol of the Austro-Hungarian Landesschützen regiments by Emperor Franz Joseph I. These troops wore their edelweiss on the collar of their uniforms. When the Alpenkorps came to aid the Landesschützen in defending Austro-Hungary's southern frontier against the Italian attack in May 1915, the grateful Landesschützen honoured the men of the Alpenkorps by awarding them their own insignia: the Edelweiß. Together with the Fallschirmjäger they are perceived as the elite infantry units of the German Army".....Courtesy of Wikipedia.
    Prost ! Steve.

i thought she stayed in a town called edelweiss , it was in fact edelweiss resort in garmisch

A few edelweiss on S A, N S K K and N P E A headgear
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The Edelweiss does not just have military connections it is also used by non military organisation in areas bordering the Alps such as the Austrian Alpine club, and can be found embellishing huge amounts of tourist tat. Basically it is an iconic flower and symbol of the Alpine area.

Its indeed one of my favourite symbols.
    Its a fantastic iconic flower.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Its indeed one of my favourite symbols.
    Its a fantastic iconic flower.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    ..and immortalised in song:
    Edelweiss - The Sound of Music (with lyrics) - YouTube

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

And found on WWII postcards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, that's the first time I've ever seen an actual photo of the little buggers. Quite strange looking.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Thanks Jerry, that's the first time I've ever seen an actual photo of the little buggers. Quite strange looking.

Jay
    Indeed. We must have all seen the part in Band of Brothers where one is taken from a dead German paratrooper.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast