Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Whats your all time favourite Museum display

Article about: Dito! ;-) |<

Default Re: Whats your all time favourite Museum display

Though I do not have a photograph.. But my local museum has Erwin Rommel's hat!

Default Re: Whats your all time favourite Museum display

Quote by stuka f View Post
    But our national army museum is still a great one! I love those big display cabinets with loads of items in it.
    It's a great museum and the entry is free!

I like the Pickelhaube display very much...

CIMG6540.jpg

CIMG6541.jpgCIMG6542.jpgCIMG6543.jpgCIMG6544.jpgCIMG6545.jpgCIMG6547.jpgCIMG6548.jpgCIMG6549.jpgCIMG6550.jpg

?

Wewelsburg and Lidice are both superbly presented. The use of lighting is wonderful in both museum buildings. My least favourite would be the IWM North (Manchester, NW England) - I feel it is a shame how so much money went on the design rather than content. I used to love the "U-Boat Story" exhibition - also NW England...that is, until they cut the boat up :-(

?

I love the Belgian National War Museum, I have been there many times. The pickelhaube display is my favorite. However I noticed the Sachsen Gard Reiter lion appeared to be made of wood and the eagle on the Gard du Corps Cuirassier also appeared the same. Stuka next time you are there check it out and tell me if you agree?

I enjoy the museum at Passchendaele as well, the display of the gas masks is my favorite there.

My favorite museum thus far is the tank museum at Bovington, I could spend a week there. The WW1 display is by far the best display I've seen.

However 1 museum display beats them all hands down, and that is the B-17 display at the Commemorative Air Force Museum in Phoenix Arizona. Well actually in Mesa.

It is the best because for a fee you can fly in the B-17 itself! I have gone up twice, once in the bombardier position and once in the waist. Both were unique and utterly unforgettable experiences.

Attachment 608056

Attachment 608057

Attachment 608053

Attachment 608055

Attachment 608054

Quote by DougB View Post
    I love the Belgian National War Museum, I have been there many times. The pickelhaube display is my favorite. However I noticed the Sachsen Gard Reiter lion appeared to be made of wood and the eagle on the Gard du Corps Cuirassier also appeared the same. Stuka next time you are there check it out and tell me if you agree?

I was there yesterday, unfortunatly the WWI zone was closed, don't know for how long.
    I could do what I had to do and even a bit more; the tower/gate was open to public and holds a private collection, that was given to the museum in the very early days.
    And found thise one I missed on every visit; a French officer's prototype helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

and a pic of the roof top, of Brussels;
    Attached Images Attached Images

cheers
    |<ris

?

Kris, Ill have to go see it. Looks fantastic. Quite like the touch with the banners as well.

Some great museums and pics in this thread - thanks all.

I dont have a favourite per se, but as an aviation nutter I like the Udvar Hazy, which I have visited on several occasions.

The USMC Museum in Quantico is quite nice as well

The Museum of Science and Industry in ChiTown aint too shabby

Patton Museum rocks as well. There really are too many nice museums for me to point out just one.....

Quote by Scout View Post
    Kris, Ill have to go see it. Looks fantastic. Quite like the touch with the banners as well.

Some ......

Patton Museum rocks as well. There really are too many nice museums for me to point out just one.....
    Tell we when! ;-)
    It is a "must"!!
    Lot's of airplanes as well!
    I'll show you the workshop of the Stampe en Vertongen in Antwerp as well, if you like plane's!
    Stampe & Vertongen Museum - Home Page
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Berlin sept 2011 027.jpg

Luftwaffen museum on the old RAF Gatow airbase Berlin. Actually got to touch the ME 163!...

IMO some of the private collections presented on WRF by members are the equal if not surpassing many "Museum" collections but if I had to choose a Museum it would be the Warsaw Rising Museum in Poland.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast