Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When did you start to collect/what or who influenced you to do so?

Article about: ...good stuff Panzer..love the stuff we get handed down from our war time relatives....that navy scrap book is worth everthing because of the history it tells from him...very lucky mate to h

Default When did you start to collect/what or who influenced you to do so?

Just curious. I started to collect 2 years ago. When I was younger I use to look at my Grandfather's collection of WW2 edged weapons that his father brought back. My other Grandfather also had an Uncle who brought back an SS armband and pictures of a liberated concentration camp. They influenced me to start to collect.

Default Re: When did you start to collect/what or who influenced you to do so?

I was 8 years old and was leaving in France in the country side did not have anything to do so started to pick-up artifacts from ww1 and ww2.My family also where collectors.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

?

That would be way cool Chris. I came from a family of collectors in general. Too make a long story short I was offered a TR EK2 at a flömarkt here in Germany and it was all over from there! I think it was innevitable, I always liked military history and everyone in my family serves in the Army or Marines and has fought in almost every American war since its birth. Thats something Im very proud of and it will be very interesting to see what my son does if I have one because I live in Germany now. It wasnt until I started collecting that I found out about all the stuff my relatives had brought back and that my uncle and cousin also collects. Funny how that happens.

My father bought me my first book on WW2 when I was 11 for Christmas. By the time I was 18 I had 2 bookcases full of books.

I always wanted to collect relics but never really got round to it. Then, ten years ago, I went on holiday to Normandy. I visited every museum I could find and saw a Lee-Enfield in one with the note 'Found in the dunes just in front of museum in 1998'. That did it for me. My 10 yr old son had brought his kids detector with him. We went on the beach next to St Aubin sur mer and found 12 cartridge cases and the remains of a cap badge. I was hooked.

Bought my own detector 7 years ago, went detecting once or twice a year. Five years ago it really took off and now I go at least once a month. My collection now spans 5 bookcases, half a bedroom and half a garage

My wife thinks I'm obsessed but I just say, 'Look. It's either this or I go down the pub every weekend or spend my time pointlessly trying to hit a very small white ball into a very small hole. You choose'

Steve T

@Steve T: Nice story.

My first German helmet from ww1 that I found around Belleau wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Thats funny Steve T! I tell my wife the same, I could blow my money on booze or military history! She just sighs!

I started collecting 5 years ago(I think), I got interested in ww2 because my father told me about a German plane that was shot down a few hundred meters from where we used to live. He found 2 pieces that I now have in my collection.

One day when I was looking through stuff in the garage I found my dad's military badges from the 1960's and he said I could have them. I started collecting soon after. The local surplus sale was of big help, I found a couple U.S spades dating back to 1944 and that was it. And today my collection occupies our basement.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

@Cricketcriss: Nice helmet. Do you still own it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast