Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Who was the deadliest female of WW2?

Article about: Surely Ilse Koch, "The Bitch of Buchenwald", deserves at least a dishonorable mention in this discussion. 330px-Ilse_Koch.png

Surely Ilse Koch, "The Bitch of Buchenwald", deserves at least a dishonorable mention in this discussion.

330px-Ilse_Koch.png

How about this Nachthexen !

Nadezhda (Nadia) Vasil'yevna Popova was one of the first military female pilots in the Soviet Union, and was highly decorated with awards including the title "Hero of the Soviet Union", the Gold Star Medal, the Order of Lenin, and three Orders of the Red Star during the Second World War.

Altogether, Popova made "852 sorties in the second world war as a pilot in the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, later named the 46th Guards in honor of its courage

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Elizabeth Fedorovna Mironova

Mironova fought in the 255th Brigade of the Black Sea Fleet Marines. She supposedly killed about 100 soldiers and officers, but there isn't really more information on this. She was severely wounded in September 10, 1943 in the battle of Novorossyisk and died from her wounds on September 29 at the age of 19.

My apologies if this represents thread drift but I just ran across an excellent series of photos, World War II: Women at War - In Focus - The Atlantic

Interesting, but seeing so many countries included, they could have added the Lotta-Svär: Finnish voluntary auxiliary paramilitary organisation for women, to the list.

Quote by DocCasualty View Post
    My apologies if this represents thread drift but I just ran across an excellent series of photos, World War II: Women at War - In Focus - The Atlantic
    Thanks Doc! Nice link !

They say the female of the species is more deadly than the male!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Thanks Doc! Nice link !

They say the female of the species is more deadly than the male!

Nick
    Women we're thought the be more successful in sharpshooting, than men because they usually had better nerves. Also the Red Army used a lot of females as tank crewmen, because they we're smaller by size and could fit in cramped tanks better.

Here are a couple of photos of the members of Lotta-Svärd looking out for enemy planes. The movement did everything from treating wounded soldiers to thawing frozen bodies of the fallen for burial.

Interesting ! Any more info on these 'Valkyries' ?

Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Interesting ! Any more info on these 'Valkyries' ?

Nick
    Hey Nick,

There is an article about the Lotta-Svärd on wikipedia, but I don't know any other english sources for them, at least not about them serving as spotters. There is a Finnish film: Lupaus about members of the Lotta-Svärd during the wars and also a TV-series: Kun taivas repeää. Sadly, I think these are hard to find via online and no subtitles are included.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast