Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Article about: I feel like I have answered this before, but I like these threads, so I don't mind answering again. When I was five I got a bucket of plastic army men for Christmas. I played with then every

Default Re: Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

I think i was born with it. (Hi C)

I've always had a general interest in history, and a strange obsession with gas masks. In 2007, I went with my school to France and Belgium to see the WW1 battlefields, memorials and museums. This trip both fascinated and moved me, and from there on I took up a particular interest in the World Wars and military history. I suppose the first thing in my collection was a single bullet I bought in Belgium- I would have bought a grenade or two had the teachers not been so against me loading up on weapons! While on the trip, after seeing so many gas masks in the museums I decided I really had to have one, so when I got home I finally bought (a modern) one off ebay. My parents said 'no more'... fast-forward to now, and I have 10 gas masks, 6 grenades, 6 guns and a small Third Reich collection. They've accepted now that my room will continue to resemble a museum!

The attached photo shows one of the gas mask displays that really captured my interest.

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think some of us are just born with the collecting "gene". I've had little collections
    of things as long as I can remember.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I think some of us are just born with the collecting "gene". I've had little collections
    of things as long as I can remember.
    Same here, I've always collected something. It's always been old things for me: crystals, fossils, coins...

Mat

Toxic, I´m with you on the crystals and fossils....
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    I think i was born with it. (Hi C)
    Hi Phillip!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Toxic, I´m with you on the crystals and fossils....
    For most of my life I've wanted to be a Palaeontologist, right up to securing a University placement for that course... but for certain reasons, plans changed last minute and I'm now pursuing Art. But because of that, I've always loved (and still do) fossils. My best piece is a Dinosaur egg!

Mat

I remember being 6 or maybe 7 years old and collecting the little plastic swords
    from cocktail drinks. Seems mom and dad were always bringing them home for me.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A dinosaur egg? Really? ........... wow!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    For most of my life I've wanted to be a Palaeontologist, right up to securing a University placement for that course... but for certain reasons, plans changed last minute and I'm now pursuing Art. But because of that, I've always loved (and still do) fossils. My best piece is a Dinosaur egg!

Mat
    best thing i ever found was a birds skeleton (which i buried) i got a picture of the skull before burial if anyone wants to see
    mat very lucky getting a dino egg

tom

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast