Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Article about: I feel like I have answered this before, but I like these threads, so I don't mind answering again. When I was five I got a bucket of plastic army men for Christmas. I played with then every

Default Re: Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

That´s amazing, guys!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

I got it from my Grand fathers. They participated in the war on each side. Both did what they did out of love for Denmark. Some of you might have read the story about them in another thread. Grand father on mothers side was stationed at a danish naval base his entire working life. He was there when Denmark got occupied in 1939. I went with him to this base countless times during my childhood during the school holidays. He gave me a lot of things from this base, and i was also allowed to pic up some stuff, after it was carefully inspected of course. They both told me many stories from the war. I got in my my blood so to speak, and i miss them both to this day.

R.I.P. Hugo & Henry

I believe Denmark wasnt occupied until April 1940?

Occupation of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

My late grandfather was in the AAF during the war, but passed a few years before i was born so i never met him. As a child in my fathers house, i regularly saw my Polizei helmet sitting in my dads office, he would never let me play with it, no matter the fit i threw! After having an extremely cool history teacher in junior high (grades 7&8 for those of you abroad) my interest in war, more-so German military history EXPLODED and i became fascinated with any thing TR related. It wasnt untill recently that my father let me have the Polizei helmet, aswell as many items that belonged to my grandfather!

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    My late grandfather was in the AAF during the war, but passed a few years before i was born so i never met him. As a child in my fathers house, i regularly saw my Poliezi helmet sitting in my dads office, he would never let me play with it, no matter the fit i threw! After having an extremely cool history teacher in junior high (grades 7&8 for those of you abroad) my interest in war, more-so German military history EXPLODED and i became fascinated with any thing TR related. It wasnt untill recently that my father let me have the Poleizi helmet, aswell as many items that belonged to my grandfather!
    I bet you're glad now that he didn't let you play with it back then!

As for the dinosaur egg, it's thought to belong to a Saurolophus, which is a herbivorous Hadrosaur. Here's what the skeleton looks like: http://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/cou...aurolophus.gif It was found in China, and I bought it from a respected and reputable dealer... believe it or not, valuable fossils are heavily faked too! I came into this interest fully expecting it to be a similar 'minefield', and I wasn't disappointed!

Collecting is definitely in my genes, I think. It's interesting to read other's stories!

Mat

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    I bet you're glad now that he didn't let you play with it back then!
    Quite!

Although, the helmet is in poor condition as it is for having sat in a cigarette smoke filled house for 20+ years!

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    Quite!

Although, the helmet is in poor condition as it is for having sat in a cigarette smoke filled house for 20+ years!
    Still, you can't beat inheriting something like that! I bought one from a member here a few days ago, hopefully it'll be here soon so I can post it up here!

Mat

?

Yes it was Stinchen. I have the worst ever hangover today..... for the second day now. WW2 broke out 1939. Dk 9th of april 1940 of course.

?

I also have a "funny" story for you Stinchen, you being interested in sub marines. My grand father was a engineer of the naval base Holmen, that you most likely know of. He was responsible for the sub marines. When one of them had been in the dry dock for repair, one of his guys forgot to check up on the ballast tank valves. This resulted in the U-boot to roll over on it side in the dock, when the captain filled the tanks. They only filled in one side, left as far i remember. He was really embarrassed about this because the responsibility was his. It should be possible to google this. Happened in the seventies. His name was Hugo Otte.

Let's just say it made news in Denmark.... Ubåden SPÆKHUGGEREN kæntrer (1979)

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I also have a "funny" story for you Stinchen, you being interested in sub marines. My grand father was a engineer of the naval base Holmen, that you most likely know of. He was responsible for the sub marines. When one of them had been in the dry dock for repair, one of his guys forgot to check up on the ballast tank valves. This resulted in the U-boot to roll over on it side in the dock, when the captain filled the tanks. They only filled in one side, left as far i remember. He was really embarrassed about this because the responsibility was his. It should be possible to google this. Happened in the seventies. His name was Hugo Otte.

Let's just say it made news in Denmark.... Ubåden SPÆKHUGGEREN kæntrer (1979)
    Hey buddy

Thank you for supplying me with the info, quite interesting actually!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast