Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Article about: I feel like I have answered this before, but I like these threads, so I don't mind answering again. When I was five I got a bucket of plastic army men for Christmas. I played with then every

Smile Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Hello guys!

I am driven by curiosity - it could be interesting to see why, when and how you began your "career" as collectors.
    If a similar thread already exists, I do apologize.

Starting with myself: since my 6th year as a human being on planet Earth I have had a huge interest (passion?) in German WW2 items/relics/stories/anything possible. Especially Kriegsmarine. When I was a little girl I refused to play with dolls, only toy guns would do... and they had to be noisy... the more noise they made, the better. To this day I´m still searching for a KM helmet.

But it wasn´t until 2010 that this interest really bit me... it started with a birthday present (M36 Heer Officer´s Tunic and an M42 Heer helmet) from my best friend.

Looking forward to reading your stories!

Default Re: Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Have lots to tell, have always been into "war" items especially German, bought my first TR item when I was around 7 or so don't remember the exact time, but parents didn't always agree with my items. Got my first NSDAP banner on my senior trip for $25.00.
    It was about 18' long, my dad threw it away years later. Since then, off and on until this year when I hit a good estate from a Vet. Will tell more in a few....In fact here is my first TR item. I bought it over 40 years ago, and still have it, use to take it to school and play, the muzzle is gone, it use to hold a plastic shell that fired. Now days if you take something like this to school, you would be a Nazi/ Terrorist of something!

Mike

PB010135.jpgPB010136.JPG
    Last edited by Teutonicknights; 11-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.

?

Some 12 years ago my grandma left her diaries/scrapbook and a k98bayo which my grandfather supposedly stole back then.
    During my childhood I've heard her telling about the occupation and as her children did'nt want the diaries i took them.
    From there it evolved and today i'm primarily collecting daggers, photoalbums and dlv/nsfk stuff.
    Lately i've become very interested in Carinhall and the forst-part of 3. reich as i've met and made friends with a very interesting lady with close relations to Carinhall and the Göring family!
    I'm also very interrested in the pre-war period politics and propaganda :-D

Hi all,

My signature tells most of the story and I had a few items when I was young and my Dad's medals were always going to be left to me, which they were when he passed away in 93. Started to actively collect a few years later and still at it!

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Teutonicknights View Post
    , ....
    my dad threw it away years later. ..........

Mike
    Happend to me too!!
    Still have to hide TR items when my dad's come to visit us!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

my dad was in forces and he always told me stories when i was younger about varous wars and battles hed been in showed me a mountain of medals that he was awarded with and gave me most of his kit (he was stationed in germany) and now i have a love for the bundeswehr military

tom

Hello, I started to collect war stuff two years ago, when I was 16. I saw my neighbors collection an was so fascinated that I began to collect too.
    Alex

Quote by Luxembourg View Post
    Hello, I started to collect war stuff two years ago, when I was 16. I saw my neighbors collection an was so fascinated that I began to collect too.
    Alex
    Welcome to the forum, Luxembourg!

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Luxembourg!
    Thanks Stinschen

I have had an interest in WW2 for as long as I can remember. I was given a leather WW2 pilots helmet when I was about 5 and wore it all the time!! I am still wearing it now at work

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast