Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

The willhelm Gustloff

Article about: 1938 THE "Wilhelm Gustloff" IN PORTUGAL - YouTube A very nice 1938 period video of the ship docking in Lisbon and then in Madeira. It was sunk in 1945 by 3 soviet torpedoes. It had

Default The willhelm Gustloff

1938 THE "Wilhelm Gustloff" IN PORTUGAL - YouTube
    A very nice 1938 period video of the ship docking in Lisbon and then in Madeira.
    It was sunk in 1945 by 3 soviet torpedoes.
    It had over 9.000 refugees and wounded soldiers on board.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Default Re: The willhelm Gustloff

Dreadful tragedy, My wifes great aunt was one of the unfortunate souls lost when she sunk.

Regards

Robin

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Dreadful tragedy, My wifes great aunt was one of the unfortunate souls lost when she sunk.

Regards

Robin
    Very sorry to know that.
    It was simply mad revenge, they didnt care if they were civilians or not.
    Indeed an horrible tragedy.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

This is a horrible story and indeed med revenge. I always wondered why there is so much attention on the "Titanic", often called the worst naval tragedy in history. I will say that The Gustloff will take this sad 1st place. After all almost 9 times as many people perished on the Gustloff. But when one mentions the Gustloff tragady it is very rare that people know about it. Talk about biased media and entertainment industry...

I watched a documentory on the sinking several years ago, I can still clearly remember a German survivor describing how hundreds of small children drowned because their little life jackets caused them to flip over and float upside down with their little legs bobbing up and down sticking up out of the water. This lady said she saw hundreds of little legs and feet just floating like that. As the father of a little girl I don't mind admitting that I had a lump in my throat listening to this woman speak about it.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I watched a documentory on the sinking several years ago, I can still clearly remember a German survivor describing how hundreds of small children drowned because their little life jackets caused them to flip over and float upside down with their little legs bobbing up and down sticking up out of the water. This lady said she saw hundreds of little legs and feet just floating like that. As the father of a little girl I don't mind admitting that I had a lump in my throat listening to this woman speak about it.
    That is so sad

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem