Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

World War II video games. Your thoughts?

Article about: by ObKrieger And another! This is great, guys. We need to have some campaigns. My favorite mods for CC5 are the Battle of Berlin, Stalingrad, and Scheldt ones. I had some computer issues ear

Default Re: World War II video games. Your thoughts?

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Carl, oh yes, and the sound of the alarm going off... I love it! My favorite part is when I get to kill crippled ships using the 88 deck gun... now, THAT is almost orgasmic!!
    And you never get too old!
    You sound like Xenia Onnatopp from the James Bond film Goldeneye !!

Xenia Onatopp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Generally though, anything that raises awareness in the younger generation is good, as long as it isn't just a stupid "shoot-em-up" where your character goes around killing hundreds of sprites. That won't teach anything productive at all. Books however...

Regards,

Carl
    That's the problem, Carl! A lot of students just switch right off when you have them do anything with books! To be honest, I doubt a lot of my students have ever read a book! This is one of the main reasons I like to bring in relics for them to get "hands on" with history.

With videogames, I can ask my students if they've ever played a specific level from a historically-accurate game and then relate that to my lesson for the day. I just have to be sure to stress that there was no such thing as super soldiers who could absorb 100 bullets at a time, or hide in a corner and have their health regenerate!

Invasion 1944 for ArmA2 Combined Operations (ArmA2+Operation Arrowhead). Take a perfect simulator used by armies, add a mod about WW2, and you have an incredible experience. The mod really needs you to concentrate on playing, as it is not your standard "pull the trigger until you have no ammo left" game, as it requires you to communicate with your team to succeed with your mission. And you really get the "I was there" feeling when during a thunderstorm your patrol gets ambushed by an enemy patrol in the forest. All you hear are the distinct sounds of weapons firing towards you, while the bullets hit the trees and bushes very close to you and your gets hit in the leg. You start to drag him behind a stone and he gets shot in the head, blood splatters around and you crawl to cover. And most likely, then you die. But its still a fun game if you have friends who have it.

Oh my god! Someone else plays Close Combat! I have been playing that game since 1998. Joe, you and I are going to have to LAN it up sometime.

Red Orchestra 2 is also very fun, as is Battlefield 1942 (if you have the Forgotten Hope mod) and the Brothers in Arms series.

People...do yourselves a GIANT favour and look into the Battlefront.com games. The latest release is 'Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy'. Trust me, if you play this game (simulation is a better term) you'll never play anything else again!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    People...do yourselves a GIANT favour and look into the Battlefront.com games. The latest release is 'Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy'. Trust me, if you play this game (simulation is a better term) you'll never play anything else again!
    I have tried it before, it's basically a 3D version of close combat. Very fun game but I found myself going back to CC. lol

Will do that, Glenn!!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post

My favorite World War II games have come from the Close Combat series. They take place during historical campaigns (Barbarossa, Market Garden, Op. Overlord, Battle of the Bulge) and offer a birds eye view of the battlefield. You control individual vehicles and/or squads of (American/ British/ Polish/ Canadian/ Russian/ German) troops and maneuver them around the battlefield to capture strong points and push back the enemy. I really appreciated the ralism this game offers and the tactics you have to use.
    I have been playing close combat for many years and have all the issued versions as well as some add ons. Great fun to play. I don't play any other computer games these days.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    You sound like Xenia Onnatopp from the James Bond film Goldeneye !!

Xenia Onatopp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick
    Hey leave my Xenia alone, i worked on the film as an extra, met Famke, Isabella,and of course, the man himself, Pierce, Famke was a real nice woman always smiling and you could have a laugh, Pierce was the same, and Isabella , well i used to just drool in front of her, you actually get to see me in the film but from a distance, i get killed in the gas depot when the barrels come crashing down, im the one right at the far left, great fun, and initially i was set security, used to make Martin Campbell a cuppa at 5am and talk with him before the crew came in, even got to sit in the DB5

Quote by Bond View Post
    I have been playing close combat for many years and have all the issued versions as well as some add ons. Great fun to play. I don't play any other computer games these days.
    And another! This is great, guys. We need to have some campaigns.

My favorite mods for CC5 are the Battle of Berlin, Stalingrad, and Scheldt ones.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast