Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

World War II video games. Your thoughts?

Article about: by ObKrieger And another! This is great, guys. We need to have some campaigns. My favorite mods for CC5 are the Battle of Berlin, Stalingrad, and Scheldt ones. I had some computer issues ear

Default World War II video games. Your thoughts?

As a high school history teacher, I often look for ways to relate the content I'm teaching to aspects of life my students are familiar with. As the WWII generation passes away, I find myself having fewer students with surviving relatives who experienced the war first hand. As such, I've resorted to mentioning movies and video games such as Call of Duty, and Medal of Honor to peak the interest of some of my students.

I've always wondered, what does the collecting community think of World War II video games?

Personally, I've played videogames since elementary school and World War II games have always been among my favorites. The games helped me imagine what it was like to actually participate in historical battles... and as a young person, they offered the closest thing to actually driving a real WWII vehicle or shooting a WWII weapon.

My favorite World War II games have come from the Close Combat series. They take place during historical campaigns (Barbarossa, Market Garden, Op. Overlord, Battle of the Bulge) and offer a birds eye view of the battlefield. You control individual vehicles and/or squads of (American/ British/ Polish/ Canadian/ Russian/ German) troops and maneuver them around the battlefield to capture strong points and push back the enemy. I really appreciated the ralism this game offers and the tactics you have to use.

Here are some pictures of Close Combat:

I really tend to dislike unrealistic games that allow you to mow down thousands of enemies while you take little or no damage.

Default Re: World War II video games. Your thoughts?

I play only Silent Hunter 3, 4 and 5 (u-boat simulator/strategy computer games). To me it is a great way of relaxing. I am a nerd, I know
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I love WW2 Movies, and Videogames, I use to watch a WW2 Movie, don't need to be a real story, but that's the best, then play a FPS WW2 game, based on realism.
    The game is Red Orchestra Ostfront, or Red orchestra 2 heroes of Stalingrad, and Darkest Hour(Free mod for Red Orchestra:O ) This game has no crosshair, you will die with one shot to the face, you will loose your weapon if you get shot in the hand, in the leg and you are down, I'm playing in a German Unit based on only Realism, history and german tactics it is the best way to get to know history for myself, I have all this guys playing together in squads og Groups as we call it, Zugtroup etc..
    I recommand everyone to try out these games!
    They are nothing like COD or Battlefield.. =D
    Sorry, I might have some wrong spelling..

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    I play only Silent Hunter 3, 4 and 5 (u-boat simulator/strategy computer games). To me it is a great way of relaxing. I am a nerd, I know
    While the U-Boat games are not my cup of tea, I do agree with you 100%!

A lot of these games offer a great way to blow off some steam... but a lot of these games can be so difficult that they can stress you out!

If you have a awesome or O.K computer, try out Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUJnIl_9-I

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    While the U-Boat games are not my cup of tea, I do agree with you 100%!

A lot of these games offer a great way to blow off some steam... but a lot of these games can be so difficult that they can stress you out!
    For example, SH 3 has a really great interface: it is easy to play - the graphics are not too good, but not horrible. The SH 5 has an extremely confusing player interface with too many new features: the graphics are superb. So one cannot have it all, I guess
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

How did I know that you play SH...?

Most would consider me too old to play PC games, but I still enjoy the odd patrol on SH. Lights out, coffee, and wear headphones. That makes it an enjoyable experience...especially when you are coasting along and your Watch Officer shouts "Schiff gesichtet!!!" down your ears! I've almost scolded myself many times...but it can be addictive, a few late nights when you get carried away playing mind games with destroyers.

Generally though, anything that raises awareness in the younger generation is good, as long as it isn't just a stupid "shoot-em-up" where your character goes around killing hundreds of sprites. That won't teach anything productive at all. Books however...

Regards,

Carl

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    How did I know that you play SH...?

Most would consider me too old to play PC games, but I still enjoy the odd patrol on SH. Lights out, coffee, and wear headphones. That makes it an enjoyable experience...especially when you are coasting along and your Watch Officer shouts "Schiff gesichtet!!!" down your ears! I've almost scolded myself many times...but it can be addictive, a few late nights when you get carried away playing mind games with destroyers.

Generally though, anything that raises awareness in the younger generation is good, as long as it isn't just a stupid "shoot-em-up" where your character goes around killing hundreds of sprites. That won't teach anything productive at all. Books however...

Regards,

Carl
    Carl, oh yes, and the sound of the alarm going off... I love it! My favorite part is when I get to kill crippled ships using the 88 deck gun... now, THAT is almost orgasmic!!
    And you never get too old!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Carl, oh yes, and the sound of the alarm going off... I love it! My favorite part is when I get to kill crippled ships using the 88 deck gun... now, THAT is almost orgasmic!!
    And you never get too old!
    I haven't QUITE reached those heights yet...but it is fun!

i play the oooooooold school ww2 shooter, WOLFENSTEIN 3-D! Still have the floppys, and the precursor game Spear Of Destiny!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast