Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Worst ww2 movie

Article about: Whats the worst ww2 movie you have ever seen? I have to say the latest ones i have seen have to be Bloodrayne third reich and war of resistance, really bad movies, bad script, bad actors, ev

Default Re: Worst ww2 movie

"I find material like Hogan's Heroes where just about every German character is some kind of moron much more offensive." HPL2008.

That's me that is....Sorry to have upset your sensibilities old boy.

Contrite and requesting absolution, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Ned you are a man after my own heart.This is the best picture of anyone. I have applied for the tee shirt rights

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I am German myself. So, was I offended by Inglourious Basterds? Nope. Not one bit. I'll tell you why:

First of all, this is not meant to be a serious or realistic war movie.

Actually, it is not even really a film about World War II - It's a film about World War II films. This is what Tarantino does - He composes something new out of an odd blend of references, homages, quotes, in-jokes and clichés. Inglourious Basterds is his homage to classic war movies, specifically to that sub-genre commonly called "Dirty War Films" - whose most (in)famous example is The Dirty Dozen, but which is also rich with Italian exploitation flicks - films whose plotlines often involve rag-tag bands of ruthless soldiers out to carry out some nasty killing mission.

And as if to prove this point, just about everything and everybody in Basterds has something to do with the movie business: Shoshanna runs a cinema, Zoller is a movie buff-turned-war-hero-turned actor, Lieutenant Hickox was a film critic in civilian life, the German traitor Bridget von Hammersmark is a movie star, the mission to kill Hitler is codenamed "Operation Kino" (= Operation Cinema), the final act takes place at a movie premiere, Shoshanna's weapon of revenge are rolls of film stock etc. etc. Tarantino keeps rubbing in the fact that this is only a movie.

Now, of course, the film has quite a few moments of violence but this is hardly a surprise. Physical violence has always been a central motif of Tarantino's work and so it is here. One can accept this or have a problem with it, but again, it's what he does. When Michael Madsen tortured a cop in Reservoir Dogs, I did not take it as a call to violate law enforcement officers, and when the "Basterds" kill German soldiers, I don't take that as an anti-German statement.

What matters are not the killings, but the context in which they take place and the way the involved characters are portrayed. Oberfeldwebel Wilhelm and his comrades all get killed in that bar, but before that he was shown as just some ordinary guy wanting to celebrate the birth of his son and suddenly finding himself in this explosive gun battle. We feel sorry when he gets shot.
    Same with Rachtmann, the captured NCO clobbered to death with a baseball bat: He is portrayed as a disciplined, brave man who refuses to betray his comrades and retains his composure and military bearing until his last moments.
    Or, of course, Zoller, who is portrayed as a likeable but rather naive young man who only gets corrupted - to a degree - by Goebbels. We get the feeling that in another place and another time, he and Shoshanna really could have been together and the scene with their deaths at their mutual hands is a really sad and tragic moment.

(Sure, you had the really bad guys like Hellstrom and, of course, Hitler and Goebbels, who all come to a violent demise, but so what? I have no problem with that.)

To come to an end: I was not offended by Inglourious Basterds and one of the reasons for this is actually the fact that this film had well-written, well-played, believable German charactes, especially when compared to so many other war films. Truth be told, I find material like Hogan's Heroes where just about every German character is some kind of moron much more offensive.

PS: And of course, with Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa, Inglourious Basterds has one of the greatest performances ever!
    Well said HPL, I believe you have nailed it! Waltz is a superb actor (just watch "Water for Elephants") and his role as Landa is simply fantastic. A brilliant performance.

There was a movie with Richard Baseheart playing Hitler.What a bad movie that was.If I remember I got up and left the movie.I thought the Dirty Dozen was stupid,and I thought Inglorious Bastards was insult to history.Speaking of that I remember as I was leaving the theater a man behind me was saying to his wife "I did not know that Hitler was killed like that" What could I say.

You know I always wondred about all pine trees as well,in fact that the only thing I remember about the movie.John Wayne was a long way from The Fighting Leathernecks

Quote by big ned View Post
    That's me that is....Sorry to have upset your sensibilities old boy.

Contrite and requesting absolution, Ned.
    No need for that, Ned. And anyway, I'll make an exception for the character of Schultz. At least he's one truly lovable moron. (And a fellow Bavarian )

As an aside, It is an ironic fact that the actor John Banner (originally Johann) or 'Seargeant Schultz', was born in Vienna on the 28th January 1910 to jewish parents at the same time as a down-on-his-luck street painter who had failed the entrance exam to the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts and was living a few doors down the same street in the Vienna Men's Hostel. One Adolf Hitler....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

has anywon heard of that new movie cooming out its about a bunch of nazis travel to the dark side of the moon and build a master race and then come down to earth for revenge? it sounds like a fun movie
    sorry i cant remember the name.

cheers,
    -patrick

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    has anywon heard of that new movie cooming out its about a bunch of nazis travel to the dark side of the moon and build a master race and then come down to earth for revenge? it sounds like a fun movie
    That would be "Iron Sky". The trailers look promising indeed.

I agree, I was looking at these the other day and I think it will be a great film!

Here is trailer 3, try and see them all!

Iron Sky Teaser 3 - We Come In Peace! - YouTube

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast