Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WRF Outpost: Solo Indonesia

Article about: Officer in Charge : Feldgrau33 In October I had returned to my wifes home country of Indonesia to spend time with her family and enjoy the luxuries this country has to offer that can not be

Default WRF Outpost: Solo Indonesia

Officer in Charge : Feldgrau33

In October I had returned to my wifes home country of Indonesia to spend time with her family and enjoy the luxuries this country has to offer that can not be found back in the US. It was a mind escape for myself getting away from every and anything that reminded me of where I came from.
    Endless beaches unspoiled by tourism and tourists themselves.
    The waters warm and ranging from a few colors of aqua to blue. Going to Indonesia and spending time with my inlaws..and the greatest chance to tease and make laugh all my new nieces and nephews. I am called Uncle to many of them,,.. Some of the next generation nices and nephews refer to me as “Opa” or Grandpa.

It is a sign of respect that has been instilled in the Asian people to refer to someone as not calling them ..”Hey you..or by our first names. ….but ..being called “Om” for Uncle and my wife being a senior called “Chi” or tante.

When I stepped off the plane once I finally made a gruelling 22hr air journey..to feel the heat and knowing I had an extended summer vacation when it was already turning cold in Philadelphia. Driving on the left side of the road and endless motorcyles weaving in and out of the cars without regard to their own danger..but cars and motorcycles worked in coordination with each other ..having immense patience when someone gets cut off. Some here in our own country would of dragged the driver out of the car and beaten them. Such a wide divide in culture.

I had found out while being on the Warrelics forum there had been a gent posting on the World Helmets forum by the name of Feldgrau33..I guy out in the middle of no where in a country mostly filled with with beautiful beaches and people..let me tell you the ladies in Solo stood out in beauty..as all the women through out the whole country are very beautiful..but this middle of the Java island region had something special in their drinking water. Very pretty !!

I have read some of MrTimurs threads and began to understand his teachings and questions towards the posters replying in the thread ..were geared more to the Dutch Occupation of that country and a German link to that occupation. This country was occupied by the Japanese during WW2 as my mother inlaw had through translation had expressed the dismay of the occupation on her home island of Ambon. Feldgrau33 studies and has a Masters Degree in History.

I had the great opportunity to travel by train and view the country side traveling near 3 hrs from Surabaya to central Java arriving in the city of Solo. I would have to say..it was well worth the trip and was one of the reason why I was on vacation. Strange I travel 10,000 miles around the world..and I still like to keepclose the hobby and the community I left behind. Of course I brought my tablet with me..when the wife went shopping and I was left home to myself enjoying the atmosphere of being in ths country.

Below are 2 links to Feldgrau33 blogspot and youtube link of his collection and study

Blog- https://museummiliterku.blogspot.com/
    Youtube Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRS1qVgNbQ

I would encourage anyone having an interest on the Dutch occcupation of this country to engage in a discussion with Mr Timur “ Feldgrau 33

Mr Timur and Mr Taufiq took me to a localmarket place comprised of many little stores within, of antiques and some that have migrated from the west. Most of which were antiques the kind we seee at home from our grandparents past and ancestors ..but these were all Eastern Asiatic décor and history.
    Below are a few photos of the time I spent visiting with Timur and his associate Taufiq. I brought them both each a minature SS standard of great quality to be displayed in their collections.

WRF member “Dyzner” aka Darren has donated and sent along with me a WW1 Iron cross and Hindenburg cross to be given to Feldgrau33 .

I enjoyed my stay in Solo and overall in Indonesia..I hated to leave as I loved the hot weather and my wifes family..but a return to reality was where my job is…If I didn’t return there would be no work no goodies and no traveling abroad. I will return again soon in a few years.

I missed the Max Show on October 6th of this year because the OVMS decided to change the show schedule after it was the same for years being at the end of September..I thought I could do both when I booked my flight in Mid February..but my heart sank when they decided to move the date back 1 week for what reason I don’t know.

Being on this side of the world..I would never change the oportunity to go to Indonesia..and always a pleasure for me as I said above..a mind escape from the craziness of hustle and bustle. Down time and rest is always a good thing.

Regards Larry

solo1.jpg solo2.jpg

solo3.jpg solo4.jpg

solo4a.jpg solo5.jpg

solo6.jpg solo7.jpg

solo8.jpg

am1.jpg
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Looks like you all had a great time Larry. Good to see you could "hook up" with one of our more remote members and have a drink or two. Leon.

Glad you enjoy your visit sir. I hope we can meet again soon. And i see Ambon scenery is still beautiful as always.
    Oh and just like mr. Larry said, i just want to thank to mr. Darren for the crosses. I really really appreciate it.
    20161129_190805.jpg

Oh and just as i expected too sir, your pennant bring a lot of interest during exhibition. I think it's the second item to gain popularity for selfie.
    museum goes to campus 9993.jpg