Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI items are to go up in value?!

Article about: Hi guys! We can all agree that lot of factors can influence the value of any given item... My question is this: Considering that the 100th anniversary of the begining of WWI is in 2 years ca

?

Default WWI items are to go up in value?!

Hi guys!

We can all agree that lot of factors can influence the value of any given item... My question is this: Considering that the 100th anniversary of the begining of WWI is in 2 years can we predict that WWI items will go up in price?

I'm 20 years old and been collecting for only about 3-4 years so maybe some of you guys that have been at it long before me can answer this questions!!! Also if any of you feel like sharing your observations on the price shifts in the hobby to us newcomers that would be great!

Larry

Default Re: WWI items are to go up in value?!

Thats an interesting question. Ive been collecting for twenty years and have seen WW1 items climb quickly in value throughout that period, so im sure that will continue. The last really notable anniversary I remember well was fifty years since the end of WW2 in 1995, and I dont think it made a huge difference to values of WW2 items at the time, they have continued to climb steadiliy. I think that collecting fashions and film and TV shows make more of a difference than anniversaries, but it will be interesting to see. In any case the prices for many types of WW1 items have already gone beyond the reach of many collectors, though there are many affordable items still about. German items from both wars seem to be the best investments, prices are just getting higher and higher.

I have often and recently contemplated this very question. I suppose the only real answer is to wait and see. Many factors influence any market, and who knows what factors will come along in the next 2-6 years that my make these items climb in value. It will be exciting if it does, but it's still nice to see that the items are still affordable whereas many other items are not. Personally, I have little interest in WWII US items, but WWI US items are growing on me. I love the look of WWI US uniforms and have purchased two in the past few months. I hope to see them appreciate in value and interest, but not to the point that small time collectors such as myself can not afford these items, too.

?

If the prices on ww2 items keep raising more, then i believe that would make a difference. It is getting a little boring to collect when a camoflage jacket cost more than a new car.

Very good question.I think personally its all about whats "hot"and whats "not".because of the ever changing direction collectors move in,it effects the interest in that particular field or area so to speak.many items are available that dont cost a leg but are very common hence the price or there's the rare stuff which is just plain silly.i wonder how the long term collectors feel about the differance in prices now compared to when they started out?even more modern stuff like vietnam has gone up 400% in the last 4 years,so eventually i think it will come down to either having a very large bank balance or knowing the right sources and where to look,otherwise i do believe that some of us including me will be left well behind in this forever fast moving hobby(business)regards minnie.

Definitely an interesting question, one might think WW1 items would be more valuable and a better investment and expect to see more appreciation in value due to the fact they are older items and might be more sparse to find. However it seems to me that WW2 items (axis particularly) can have more monetary value than WW1 items in some cases, not all though. I would venture to guess the stigma surrounding Hitler and the Nazi party, the Holocaust, the advances in military tactics/technology, the colossal scale of the battles and casualty numbers, the huge amount of territories conquered and lost, the fact it is more recent than WW1 and a lot of collectors might have had grandparents/ relatives that were in it, the fact there is a lot of video from WW2, and many other reasons I'm sure seem to be some of things IMO and for me personally that draw my interest more towards WW2 than WW1. Don't get me wrong I love WW1 things and really like the fact the items are nearly 100 years old,but I think now more than ever there are more collectors seeking WW2 items. And where there is higher interest and demand one can usually expect to see higher cost and value. Just my thoughts though and others might disagree as everyone probably has their own reasons for being interested in and collecting WW2 items. Hope that makes some sense although its far from a definite answer for you. Thanks, Jeff B.
    Last edited by Rigormortis; 11-03-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: misspell

Well said JEFF the whole Third Reich thing compared to the German Imperial army there's no contest.plus like already stated in WW2 there is a lot more scope to choose from.from cloth patches to tanks the list is endless.minnie.

Hi Larry, I am now into my 36th year of collecting and prices have never gone down when it comes to Third Reich items. They are a safe bet and I am not a betting man...

I am sure WW1 items will rise in price as we approach the 100th Anniversary in 2014. But I would not buy as an investment.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

WWI artifacts will continue to rise, I believe, but not as meteoric as WWII pieces have. Many WWI items are slowly decaying away into nothing at this point. The leather bodied spiked helmets, etc , for example, are very seldom found in perfect condition anymore or with their original chinstraps, etc. Today, it is almost impossible to take a canister style gasmask out of it's case without losing half of it's brittle and shattered rubberized bits. When I was a kid, you could. We used to play with them like toys(A horrible thought today, considering that they contained stuff like asbestos, etc in them!). And, of course, there are no WWI vets around anymore to tell you the thrilling stories of how they were all used and what they saw. Today, there are still WWII vets around to give the tales, but they, too, are vanishing every day.
    No, I don't think that WWI relics are anything to bet your retirement on, but they will Slowly continue to appreciate in value. Perhaps some day they will level out and hold steady, but for Now, at least, they're doing good.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks a lot guys!!!
    Oh and Adrian... I dont see my collection as an investement simply because I don't think I'll ever sell any of it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast