MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII Paratrooper recovered from the Nederlands

Article about: As an idea as to the "wreckage" left behind ... It is believed that after the war, the farmer of DZ "K", bundled the leftovers into one of the drainage ditches on the mea

?

Default Re: WWII Paratrooper recovered from the Nederlands

As an idea as to the "wreckage" left behind ...
    It is believed that after the war, the farmer of DZ "K", bundled the leftovers into one of the drainage ditches on the meadow, and thus in 2002, the recovery team unearthed a mass of debris from this covered over ditch alone.

The attached shot shows a line of drop containers pulled from this ditch.

Gary J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice photo

?

Myself with the recovery officer at one of the site "skips" ... full of various oddments, .. and by some of the stacked drop container remains ..

Gary J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more information was posted on another forum, WW2Talk.

"You may have heard or read in the media that the Dutch Ministry of Defence have made their points of view very clear. They have stated that they are absolutely delighted that this missing soldier now has been found. That is why the finder was let off with an official warning from the Royal Netherlands Military Police (Royal Marechaussee). They have also emphasized that Ginkel Heath is both a military training ground and a former WW2 battlefield on which any sort of digging is prohibited because of the dangers of unexploded ordnance. The two hand grenades found with the Ginkel Heath soldier (one of which according to the EOD was a highly dangerous phosphorus grenade with a so-called “Always Fuse”) confirms it. Fortunately this time nothing went wrong. Officially it is even not allowed to stray off roads and paths on Ginkel Heath. Secondly, Philip is absolutely right. Ginkel Heath is indeed a government protected archeological site, because of the stone age burial mounds."

And, Google translated from the EdeStad.nl

EDU - Ron Veldhuisen ran Sunday with a metal detector at a distance of 500 meters from the sheepfold opposite Miss Tok. There he found the remains of a British soldier. ,, I was euphoric when I found the body. "The 55-year Edenaar received praise, but also received a reprimand because he was in that area with a detector could find. ,, Because of the importance of the find I was not fine. "

From Veldhuisen has long been a weakness for the airborne at the Ede heath on Monday, September 18, 1944. ,, Earlier, I found everything from a parachute harness buckles and some shells. "Sunday he was back with his metal detector in the hallway. ,, It was a busy day, there were two hundred people on the moor to kite or an ice cream. I distanced me from them, went deeper into the moor to a somewhat virgin territory where not many had sought. "

In the beginning, the Edenaar a bad feeling. ,, I found a few pennies Juliana and some sleeves. At one point I got a signal. And I began to dig. At 75 cm depth, I found a bottle of a British skydiver. When I got the bottle out deck, I also found two buckles, which I LATED a paratrooper. Then hit the "Feaver" increases. Groove and I thought 'what a thick bushes, but those were the first bones. I also found a Mills grenade and some personal attributes. "

In the hole saw Veldhuisen From a green lid. 'It seemed like a helmet, it turned out the discolored top of a skull. "He then looked around to see if anyone with a mobile phone in the vicinity. ,, I knew immediately that I had to call the war foundation, because I do with the remains of a British paratroopers had to do. The presumption is that he was hit during the landing, there was a morphine injection with him. Maybe he's injured left. The excavation seemed that he was lying on his stomach. "

At one time it was Ron Veldhuisen helped by a couple whose husband as a volunteer is involved in the war department. 'He said' this is unique, this is almost never '. Immediately the war department called and the ball started rolling. We had everything as much as possible to its original state. The mortal remains covered us again. Immediately, all public informed. "

Monday morning at ten o'clock they came together on the heath. ,, As the excavation progressed, there were more attributes upwards. Include a phosphorus grenade, parts of his legs came with the shoes still on top. With large seven was applied to a tooth after the teeth found. Through old dentist pictures hoped the family can be found. "
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I was watching a documentary and apparently this section of the dutch army is solely devoted to recovering bodies from the second world war the guy said they find about 34 a year or something like that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2