Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your favourite item with a story

Article about: Carl, I have another item relating to a camp survivor. Mine is of course, my SS Totenkopf, as you see in my display picture. Apologies to those who've read this before! I purchased it from t

?

Default Your favourite item with a story

I was sorting through some of my items earlier, and started to think about the stories and history of the pieces themselves. It always interests me to hear about other people's items, and the events and people that they previously belonged to, so I have started this thread in the hope that we can create a nice read, with some interesting militaria too of course.

I found it very hard to single out just one piece, as so many have their own story to tell, but I will go with the identity card shown below. It belonged to a Czechoslovakian man, who was a prisoner at Konzentrationslager Mittelbau-Dora, a camp that provided forced labour workers for the nearby V-2 Rocket factory in the nearby Kohnstein, near Nordhausen. Approximately 20,000 perished at Mittelbau, half of whom died of exhaustion. Tunnels in the mountain were actually used to house the workers, until the camp was completed late in 1943. One of the tragic aspects of the R.A.F. raid on Nordhausen, on the night of 2nd April 1945, was the Boelcke barracks, that had been used by the SS to house seriously ill or weak prisoners, was destroyed during two raids, killing 1,500 prisoners. The museum at Dora today only has two structures remaining, one of which, the former crematorium, is utilised as the museum's main building.

The owner of this identity card actually survived.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: Your favourite item with a story

some fine threads you come up with,
    regards mich

Nothing I have has any story to it sadly

?

that is a story itself

?

Great piece. If you'd need a hand translating, shoot me a PM with the text.

My favorite piece with history would be my Slovak Inter-War flying cap, I've posted pictures of it in the other topic. Belonged to a relative of mine who flew BF-109s during the war.

Nitram

My items all have a story but I dont know them

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks gents!

Nitram, I appreciate the offer, but my good lady is Czech, so I am covered there. Thanks all the same though, it was good of you to offer.

Regards,

Carl

?

I have an Italian flag captured by an Australian officer,mi have his photo and details, at Tobruk, and I have a EM German belt, y straps, bread bag and K98 cleaning kit from a German Normandy veteran....he must have last some weight as he made extra holes in his belt to attach his belt buckle to...

Also there is horse hair in his cleaning kit instead of th normal cleaning cloth

My favorite item with a story... that´s a dead easy one, that is my SS 1933 ground Röhm dagger, it once belonged to SS-Obersturmführer Franz Josef Ott who served in several different places; in an SS office, in Konzentrationslager Dachau, in a SS-Police unit, in a Panzer unit and so on. He was also in the Lebensborn program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Very nice Chris, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast