Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Your opinion of French forces & militaria of WWII?

Article about: I have mixed opinions about the French. IMO, I would have to break it up to the present day younger generation and the older generation. The younger generation in France seems to have almost

Default Re: Your opinion of French forces & militaria of WWII?

I have mixed opinions about the French. IMO, I would have to break it up to the present day younger generation and the older generation. The younger generation in France seems to have almost a hatred for Americans where the older generation has an undying respect. Espesially those around some of the major battle sites and those who know first hand about the allies liberating them from the Germans twice. I believe this is due to politics and nothing to do with actual interaction. Personally every person I have met from France has been absolutely wonderful and I think the resistance fighter were some of the bravest I have ever read about. I think the country has gotten a bad rap from both WWI and WWII and having the Allies bail them out twice with a lot of losses. This really bothers veterans alot when they hear about Americans being treated badly in the press or personally. I hope I'm not rambeling too much.

Thanks

Burt

If I remember correctly, wasn't the French armored corp especially strong in 1940? If properly deployed, they would have been more than a match for the German Panzers... they were just mis-managed.

In terms of my own personal interaction with the French, I have very fond memories. When I visited an ex-girlfriend in Paris, I became hopelessly lost in the 10th Arrondissemont late at night... some very nice locals helped me find my way.

The learned member 'mmarsh' on this forum gave a good account :

The French Army in WWII

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

France got sucker punched and that's about all there is to it. The same thing happened to Poland but for whatever reason they don't get the same accolades.

Unfortunately for both the French and the Polish, they got the short sticks when it comes to geography...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2