Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1945 newspapers,worth anything?

Article about: Have a box of these,kept from ww2,look original to me,worth collecting?Good reading if nothing else!

Default 1945 newspapers,worth anything?

Have a box of these,kept from ww2,look original to me,worth collecting?Good reading if nothing else!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 newspapers,worth anything?   1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

1945 newspapers,worth anything?   1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

There will always be a market for WWII-era newspapers. They never seem to sell for much, and probably never will. Unless you have papers relating to landmark events in the war, most of them will sell for pocket change at the very least. V.E. Day newspapers are particularly popular. I collect those myself.
    They're interesting to keep around, and offer a snapshot of that day long ago in a way that no history book can. Not only the significant events, but all the 'little things' that happened then that have been largely forgotten since.
    I'm always on the lookout for papers, and pick them up wherever I can. Have one copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer from V.E. Day that I'm particularly proud of.
    Good reading, as you said, and well worth hanging onto for posterity's sake.

B.B.

Thank you!Many are from the Denver Post with the "pink cover page.A 1944 from Dec. about the battle of the bulge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 newspapers,worth anything?   1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

1945 newspapers,worth anything?   1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Have a box of these,kept from ww2,look original to me,worth collecting?Good reading if nothing else!
    I agree.. Much about nothing, Mass produced .. Most were probably used as tinder for the fireplace after a glance.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks,actually they were given to me at a yardsale so the price was right,mass produced but like you say most lit fires or were used to wrap garbage,still they dont take up much room,will hang onto them.

You do have to wonder, though... The war lasted for six years, or 2200 days. How many publications put out issues on every one of those days? How many, like the British papers of the time, put out morning and evening editions? Then, when you sit down and really think about it, you realise just how few of them have survived in comparison.
    Most of it is down to postwar use, as Gwar has pointed out already. Everything from kindling fireplaces to stuffing shoes. But also from their general fragility; they simply weren't made to last for seventy years. The number of surviving, intact copies is staggeringly small. In all my time browsing auction sites for them, I can say with certainty that I have never seen two separate copies of the same issue.

B.B.

Thanks for that Brodie!I dont see them around, first ones I have had.Gwar as far as much to do about nothing,these newspapers are about everything we enjoy today,we won, thank god!War is never good,and worse if you start it and lose,reading these old newspapers make you really think about that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 newspapers,worth anything?  

MAP
    ?

I thinks these would make fantastic reading. A real time (albeit a bit of propaganda) view of what was happening. Not an "analysis" written years later. I like the one about the Battle of the (Belgian) Bulge. That was touch and go so would be interesting to read what they thought at the time.

Also a bit of "politics" on these pages. "Brits getting back at the US", Nimitz saying we need to Occupy Japan, etc.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I have stacks of WWII Papers from my Opa. About every couple months I will grab a new one and just thumb through it. Fresh perspective from days gone by on freedom, sacrifice & patriotism. No junk reporting like the stuff in today's news. I guess if I had a generation to have my six I would choose the WWII Generation. Coming out of the depression they had nothing and gave everything for each other and country. Cheers.

Rossi
    Last edited by Rossi; 12-08-2017 at 05:09 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

History is written by the Victors !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast