Become our sponsor and display your banner here

7" x 9" Photo of WW2 US Fighter Pilot in ROUGH shape

Article about: Hi Folks. I picked up this 9"x7" glossy at an auction a while back. Thought it was a powerful image. I'm sifting through my pile of war photos and I'm curious. At first glance I fe

Default 7" x 9" Photo of WW2 US Fighter Pilot in ROUGH shape

Hi Folks. I picked up this 9"x7" glossy at an auction a while back. Thought it was a powerful image. I'm sifting through my pile of war photos and I'm curious. At first glance I felt I had seen the photo before. Is this a mass produced image? Thought id try to get some input on it. Note the look of pain on the pilots face. Also his trousers are soaked...hydraulic fluid...or blood?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_194922_resized.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	888443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_194932_resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	888444  

Quote by Jammanna View Post
    Hi Folks. I picked up this 9"x7" glossy at an auction a while back. Thought it was a powerful image. I'm sifting through my pile of war photos and I'm curious. At first glance I felt I had seen the photo before. Is this a mass produced image? Thought id try to get some input on it. Note the look of pain on the pilots face. Also his trousers are soaked...hydraulic fluid...or blood?
    Talking of powerful images, take a look at this footage of a TBM gunner from the carrier USS Essex being buried at sea in his aircraft, it's extremely moving.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If that crewman to the left is a MEPS personnel, this could be a photo of a pilot being tested for flight duty. The plane doesn't look damaged, although, it Does seem to be tilting down forward, so he may have just come in and had a bad landing? The guy with the sunglasses looks to be holding some papers of some kind in his hands and looking at them, so this could well have been a potential pilot being tested. No clue as to what the substance is on the legs of his overalls, but perhaps fire extinguisher?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The closer i look all of the pilots clothing is soaked top to bottom. What does MEPS stand for?