Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread

Article about: Hello All As an aside to the Escape and Evasion part of my collection (http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbor...90/?highlight=) I have picked up a few Prisoner of War related items over the ye

Default The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread

Hello All

As an aside to the Escape and Evasion part of my collection (Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!) I have picked up a few Prisoner of War related items over the years. I thought it would be interesting to have a P.o.W thread in recognition of those who fought their own war behind barbed wire.
    I'll kick it off with a few of my bits, however, it would be very interesting to see what others have, from dog tags to letters, personal kit to rations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

This is a recent purchase. It is a shaving mirror (a polished piece of metal) in a British made wallet. It came with two P.o.W currency notes, a German receipt for clothing (I guess clothing issued to him by the Germans although it would appear that he changed camps so it might be what he arrived with) and a receipt regarding his camera!
    I believe it reads:

Oflag No 3819
    Corpl JAMES
    No 7 Company

Your camera has been
    received from Stalag VIIb
    and is in the custody
    of the administration Dept
    of Oflag IIIc

Signature

For (?) Man (?) of confidence
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

A British P.o.W dog tag belonging to Sgt R T LAWN along with his service dog tags.

A list/register of Prisoners of War who have been put on a work party or 'Kommando'

Stalag IV-G /IVB Allied Prisoner of War work party list?

Some items belonging to a British civilian interned by the Japanese

Japanese P.o.W paperwork items

Original copy of the News Chronicle dated Saturday 24th June 1944 which details the escape from Stalag Luft III - The Great Escape

The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report

That's my lot for the moment, anybody got anything they want to add?

nice interesting post thanks.

?

Excellent grouping of POW documents and items. It was also a very nice read from a newspaper article of that time frame. I have the post cards my Uncle Joe sent back home from Stalag 17B. If you would like, I can post them.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent grouping of POW documents and items. It was also a very nice read from a newspaper article of that time frame. I have the post cards my Uncle Joe sent back home from Stalag 17B. If you would like, I can post them.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Please do, the more the merrier!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast