Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Auction of the estate of the late Richard Todd (The Dam Busters)

Article about: Hi At the risk of spamming (which isn't my intention), I wanted to let everyone know that the estate of the late Richard Todd (star of The Dam Busters) is being auctioned over the next few w

Vintage V
    ?

Thumbs up Auction of the estate of the late Richard Todd (The Dam Busters)

Hi

At the risk of spamming (which isn't my intention), I wanted to let everyone know that the estate of the late Richard Todd (star of The Dam Busters) is being auctioned over the next few weeks on eBay by Vintage V. These items should go to a collector or museum, which is why I wanted to let your members know. We run a shop in Peterborough dedicated to selling wartime collectibles and the collection has been passed over to us to find a good home.

Items will include personal effects, clothing, an original oil painting and a signed letter to Richard from Barnes Wallis.

The first two items are listed here -

From the Richard Todd Estate - photo and engraved pen on eBay (end time 09-Mar-11 13:56:30 GMT)

From the Richard Todd Estate - Scrapbook on eBay (end time 09-Mar-11 14:03:13 GMT)

Thanks!

?

Default Re: Auction of the estate of the late Richard Todd (The Dam Busters)

Not being funny but why are you selling such interesting and historicaly relevant items on E Bay and not through a recognised auction house ?? Richard was as i'm sure you know a D Day veteran with 7 (LI) Bn Parachute Regiment jumping at Ranville in the early hours of the 6th June and then fighting in the Benouville Bridgehead , do Para Reg and Airborne Forces Museum not want any of the items ??

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Vintage V
    ?

Hi Paul

We are auctioning them on behalf of a third party and we have contacted military museums and organisations including the Barnes Wallis Memorial Trust in hope that the collection would be bought together. We have not had any interest to date, which is a great shame.

It would be fantastic to see items like that the personal letter from Barnes Wallis to Richard Todd on permanent display, and as you say, with Todd's film career and outstanding military record, the items are of great historical significance.

If you or anyone else has suggestions for organisations that might be interested we will contact them direct.

For the record, we were part of the original team that founded the Ramsey 1940s weekend charity event, and continue to help out as well as run our own 1940s shop, so we do have a vested interest in military history.

?

Thanks for that , certainly the items related to his Military service you would think would draw some interest from one of the Museums or Associations, as you say a great shame if they are not giving a response to you !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings