Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Black GI's in France and Germany

Article about: Hi all, I came across a group of WWII military/civilian photos that are interesting. They are of black GI's in France and Germany in 1945. Even though most of the photos are in poor conditio

?

Default Black GI's in France and Germany

Hi all,

I came across a group of WWII military/civilian photos that are interesting. They are of black GI's in France and Germany in 1945. Even though most of the photos are in poor condition, I could could not pass the collection for a couple of bucks. Hopefully I can try to preserve them, though light cleaning did not seem to work.

I am especially interested in the photo of the soldiers at Camp Washington. I have not been able to find out much about this camp or its location. I am assuming that the soldiers are part of a truck transportation outfit. Any information would be appreciated.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black GI's in France and Germany   Black GI's in France and Germany  

Black GI's in France and Germany   Black GI's in France and Germany  

Wonderful set of pictures of a group of men that through adversity fought for love of country and fellow man.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

If you haven’t already seen it, ‘Scott's Official History of the American Negro in the World War’ should be of interest to you.

The text may shock or even outrage some as it's far from politically correct, it's a book of it's day.

It’s available for download from the Archive site.

?

Two small tidbits found on a discussion group.....might help your search.

AlaskanGal said:
    Marion, while you're looking for Roosevelt Camp if you happen across a
    Washington Camp would you let me know? Also My dad went in with the 359th Engineers, but on his papers it said Movement RE 7410 160th C Company, he was shipping out to the South Pacific from La Harve. The war ended and instead they went home. I have some of the Japanese money and French money they were given. Very colorful

Nancy

AlaskanGal,

Camp Washington was near Sissonne, France. The USAMHI collection has a photograph of Quartermaster Truck Companies taken at Camp Washington in 1945.

Given the camp's location, I suspect it was an assembly area for units that were waiting their turn to ship out.

Undoubtedly there is more information about Camp Washington at NARA, although it is probably buried in the masses of COMZ materials that to date have been largely unexplored.

Camp Washington might be "Camp Washington, DC", one of the "City Camps" located around the French city of Reims.

Troops would pass through these camps on the way to the "Cigarette Camps" at Le Harve.

There were more camps around Antwerp as well as camps north of Marsailles in Southern France but i havent found anything on those yet.

Very nice set of ephemera. The portraits appear to have gotten damp at some point, there is not much you can do. Personally I would scan them in really high resolution and then be restoring the results in Photoshop before printing them out again. Often overlooked those guys kept the wheels turning, the gasoline and bullets arriving at the front and the enemy being beaten. They deserve preserving. Great set of items.

?

Thanks for your comments and recommendations, much appreciated.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Wonderful set of pictures of a group of men that through adversity fought for love of country and fellow man.
    Marty
    I would like this Marty...but the "Like" button is gone.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)