Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

British Army Photographs 1945

Article about: These are really powerful images and I haven't seen them widely published. The first two are from the Reichswald campaign and the third shows members of No. 6 Commando in Wesel. They're copi

Default British Army Photographs 1945

These are really powerful images and I haven't seen them widely published. The first two are from the Reichswald campaign and the third shows members of No. 6 Commando in Wesel.

They're copied from books so excuse the gutters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Photographs 1945   British Army Photographs 1945  

British Army Photographs 1945  

?

Default Re: British Army Photographs 1945

Hi Stewy

Have seen the one with the Churchill in before, but the other two are new to me! All are pretty powerful shots, (no pun intended).

Not meaning to hijack the thread, here is a picture of one of the men who fought in that campaign, He might even be in the tank in pic' 1. My late grand-father, Willie Jackson, a serjeant in the 4th Grenadier Guards, 6 Guards Tank Brigade.
    Hope that you dont mind.

Regards etc

Ian

AKA: Jimpy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Photographs 1945  

Wow! My great uncle Joe also fought in that campaign. He was in the Royal Artillery, 151st field regiment.

What book is this from? Joe would love this

All three pictures are from Charles Whiting's "'45 - The Final Drive from the Rhine to the Baltic'. It's excellent and you can get it here for £8.

I think he sadly died quite recently but wrote hundreds of books and even fought in the British Army during the closing stages of the war. It's worth a look at his website.

www.charleswhiting.net