Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!

Article about: Picked this up while on vacation, it was in a pile of other old framed prints in a dusty antique mall. No idea of what nation this is, but i just HAD to grab it. Fairly large, about 9 inches

Default British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!

Picked this up while on vacation, it was in a pile of other old framed prints in a dusty antique mall. No idea of what nation this is, but i just HAD to grab it. Fairly large, about 9 inches by 12 inches. The frame and the matting are in the garbage now, as they are obviously horrendously acidic and worm-eaten. Unfortunately the matting was glued to the picture, so there is residue around. Will cover up fine with a new acid-free mat. I left the old one on for pics. Otherwise in great shape for however old it is. Paper itself has NO markings or signatures, just a really OLD antique store inventory note and price on the back.

Anyone know what this is?

British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!

Default Re: British Officer or Police, please HELP ID this one!

First impression is Infantry Officer or NCO, I'd say, because police do not
    normally carry swords ? He is a very dashing young fellow............
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Any idea of the era? By the uniform and the pith helmet i'd assume Colonial troops.

I was thinking Colonial as well, but no idea. Someone will surely
    recognise the badge though !

Guessing, 1900/teens to 1930's ? - On second thought,
    it could be earlier because the sword looks curved
    and they became 'straight' at some point.
    Regards,

Steve.

kc1
    ?

The helmet badge has an Imperial crown, post 1901 and pre 1912 when George V became King. Military helmet plates of this type were standard, a base with the star and then the central device being different for each Regiment. However the rays of the star were grooved, lines running from the center of the badge towards the outside, this i wouldn't have thought would have given the plain faces to the star in the picture. Secondly the center Regimental part of the plate was usually round and this one is oval. The device isn't very clear but it could be from a colonial locally raised force or anyone of the militias or yeomanry units that abounded in the Empire at the time.
    The fact thats its a white helmet points to an officer, the type of helmet being regulation attire post 1871 and before the adoption of the blue covered helmets prior to 1878. Although i don't think the photo is that early.