Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

can anyone help me with any info on this old wet on glass photo of mid century british soldier?

Article about: I picked this up at an auction. The sticker on back says 1850 but a camera expert told me that this process did not exsist at that time. Anyone got better idea of age? Can anyone identfy the

?

Default can anyone help me with any info on this old wet on glass photo of mid century british soldier?

I picked this up at an auction. The sticker on back says 1850 but a camera expert told me that this process did not exsist at that time. Anyone got better idea of age?
    Can anyone identfy the soldiers rank, unit?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can anyone help me with any info on this old wet on glass photo of mid century british soldier?   can anyone help me with any info on this old wet on glass photo of mid century british soldier?  

can anyone help me with any info on this old wet on glass photo of mid century british soldier?  

?

Looks tin type hand painted...IMO
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Can you get a super close-up of the hat badges?

Oz.

Tin types were popular in the Civil War era and afterwards but were also made past the turn of the century as well. Being on Glass, this would sound more like a daguerreotype. They came in about the 1840 and faded from popularity after the Civil War.The hand colorization,the brass framing, the uniform tunic, the woman's clothing-all point at 1850 being about right. Can't make out the insignia for a more exact branch of service. The woman, though, looks to be mid 1800's Irish and his long clay pipe(popularly called a "Churchwarden's Pipe") could also indicate an Irish origin.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."