Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A chapter in a man's live...

Article about: Pitty I found so little about that man's live chapter. All I know form thise few papers is that he joined the military academy in 1936. After becoming a sergant major, he went to the officer

Default A chapter in a man's live...

Pitty I found so little about that man's live chapter.
    All I know form thise few papers is that he joined the military academy in 1936.
    After becoming a sergant major, he went to the officers school and became a first luitenant before the war.
    But then there is thise particular letter from 1949, were the same guy asks for a refund for his suitcase and his officers trunk, he lost during the fisrt day's of the war, in active duty.
    The letter says; he lost his suitcase during the 12 th of may 1940, while he and his unit( the Belgian 7 th artillerie batterie III/3 A), engaged in combat at Halbossart, was attacked by Panzers and aircrafts.
    The commander's limber ( a two or four-wheeled cart ) was ordered (by the commander)to be destroyed because it was dammaged and not functional anymore.
    All suitcases were unloaded before that.
    And then he writes, that he wasn't able to take his suitcase and that he had to leave it were it was, and that it probably would have been stolen after that.
    Why he wasn't able to take his suitcas isn't clear; was he taken prisoner, or did they had to run....
    His officers trunk was in a chariot of a supplying unit that was attacked too on a path only 150 m from the place where the 7th batterie had took position.He also stated that the chariot was abandond by the responsible NCO who took of, and he mentions the NCO's name.
    He also ads that thise NCO was killed a the river Lys on the 25-5-1940. And that the wagon had probably been lutted after it was abandond.
    The battle at the river Lys was quiet hard, more then 3000 Belgian soldiers were killed in just a few day's.
    Saddly thise is all I get to know from Pierret Louis (that was his name!)
    Don't know what happened between the day he lost his belongings and the day he asked for a indemnity...
    Papers and pic's were found at a flee market.
    |<
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A chapter in a man's live...   A chapter in a man's live...  

A chapter in a man's live...   A chapter in a man's live...  

A chapter in a man's live...  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

nice find Kris.ps not forgotten police.

;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris