Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards

Article about: Recently this Cigar box full of Military Christmas cards has come into my possession. They all came from my great grandparents one of which served in the Royal Navy most of his life and was

Default A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards

Recently this Cigar box full of Military Christmas cards has come into my possession. They all came from my great grandparents one of which served in the Royal Navy most of his life and was lucky enough to have served aboard the Hood long before the war. So that's where I'm guessing most of the Naval connections came from. Etheir that or my Grandfather who worked on the Ilse of wight ship to shore From the war into the 50's. there is quite a few of these and a few of them have images inside which is nice. Some are from before the war, and a few are from the second but a majority are from just Post as far as I'm aware. Hopefully I will be able to scan all of these in when I get the time, but for now I will just take some pictures. I will also try to make a list of all the different Ships, regiments etc they have come from
    H.M. Coastguard Station
    H.M.S. Beaver
    H.M.S. "Loch Quoich" East Indies Station
    Royal Naval Air Station Arbroath
    2nd BTN The Hampshire Regiment
    Staff of the Commander in chief Far East Station
    H.M.S. Bublolo
    H.M.S. Rodney
    H.M.S. Glorious
    H.M.S. Charybdis
    H.M.S. Nelson
    H.M.S. Matabele
    Women's Land Army
    R.A.R.E (I think)
    XXI field Brigade, Royal Artilery
    Royal Observer Corps
    The War Office (Christmas 1944)
    1st royal Tank Regiment M.E.L.F. 15
    RAC.TC. Belsea
    RAC Training Area
    Rhine Army RAC training centre B.A.O.R
    68th Training Regument R.A.C. Catterick Camp, Yorkshire.
    17 (F) Squadron R.A.F., Keneley
    Fleet Air Arm
    Royal Air Force Syerston
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards   A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards  

A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards   A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards  

Excellent collection to inherit, really cool IMHO. I have one for the 2 Bn the Dorsets, 1937 and a more modern one for the RWF.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

These are great!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Superb and Fascinating group of tough to find cards!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

don't break them up.

Ha, wouldn't dream of it. For once my Dads side of the Families constantly keeping everything has paid of. if only my Mothers side Had that trait then maybe my other great grandparents wouldn't have thrown away all of my Great Granddads Medals and Letters...Sob

I scanned a few of them in so you could get a better view of a few of the more interesting ones
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards   A Cigar Box full of Christmas Cards