Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.

Article about: I just dug this booklet out, produced by the British Army 7 Int in the 1980's as a training aid. Most of the pics seem to come from public parades etc, but some are obviously taken with a te

Default Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.

I just dug this booklet out, produced by the British Army 7 Int in the 1980's as a training aid. Most of the pics seem to come from public parades etc, but some are obviously taken with a telephoto lens, sometimes through a fence. The T-80 is one; a very modern tank at the time of publishing and probably still classified. Makes you wonder the circumstances behind the taking of the pic in a tense Cold war environment. It's a nice substantial book of 68 pages.

Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.

?

Default Re: Cold War Soviet Vehicle / Threat Recognition Guide.

When i was part of the Regimental Int section we had to learn all these AFV's off by heart and had exams on recognising even the smallest parts of them !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    When i was part of the Regimental Int section we had to learn all these AFV's off by heart and had exams on recognising even the smallest parts of them !!
    I might test you Paul, I'll try and find some pics of the cylinder heads from a BRDM-4 or something just as obscure

Interesting booklet. We had a similar Soviet recognition guide for USAREUR based troops. My copy stems from the 1970s. It includes the T-72, then the latest Soviet tank. The booklet also showed the weak spots of the Soviet vehicles, important information for the tank gunners and infantry using their antitank weapons.
    Attachment 504467Attachment 504468

Quote by Alexander View Post
    Interesting booklet. We had a similar Soviet recognition guide for USAREUR based troops. My copy stems from the 1970s. It includes the T-72, then the latest Soviet tank. The booklet also showed the weak spots of the Soviet vehicles, important information for the tank gunners and infantry using their antitank weapons.
    Attachment 504467Attachment 504468
    That's cool, thanks for showing. Mine shows you some weak spots also; one of the APC's for example, has fuel tanks actually inside the rear doors. Spectacularly bad design I thought when I read that....