Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It could happen again

Article about: A forgotten past in US history. In 1932 WWI vets marched on Washington for a promised bonus . They didn't get it . Gary

?

Default It could happen again

A forgotten past in US history. In 1932 WWI vets marched on Washington for a promised bonus . They didn't get it . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It could happen again   It could happen again  

It could happen again   It could happen again  

It could happen again  

Default Re: It could happen again

I agree it could happen again.
    chris

Those are great pics.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Yes they are. Thanks for looking guys

For those of us in far off lands - what was the whole story????? when was the bonus promised - after the wars end 14 yrs earlier???????
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

The WWI vets were promised money for time in service and time over seas but they couldn't collect until 1945. Then the great depression hit. The vets wanted The money earlier then 1945. They formed a large camp with family and friends. The government voted not to give them the bonus early. The army moved in and kicked them out and burnt the camp to the ground. That is the very short version. Some famous generals Had some parts to do with kicking the vets out of Washington

Gary great photos. Danmark: Briefly, In 1924, Congress passed a Veterans Bonus Act that provided cash compensation to WWI veterans in the form of Compensation Certificates. The maximum payout was $1000 at the certificate's maturity. In 1932, during the Great Depression, 17,000 veterans marched on Washington demanding that the bonus be paid immediately. The men were unemployed and in dire financial straits. Congress refused and President Herbert Hoover ordered the Army to clean out the veterans' encampment. The officer commanding the operation was Gen. Douglas MacArthur and his executive officer was Maj. Dwight D. Eisenhower. The action so enraged the nation that Hoover was easily defeated in 1932 when FDR ran against him. Dwight

?

Dwight put it much nicer then I did

Under the circumstances, I think the US government did the right thing in not giving the veterans their payment early. But MacArthur's actions, on the other hand, were questionable to say the least.

Thanks to BOTH of you for the explanation. Being ( also ) a car guy I knew about the "hooverville" that sprung up outside the Ford Rouge river plant in 1932 where people tried to get a 'job at Fords' and the subsequent march ( and the killing by Ford guards of several people ) but I never knew about this veterans march.....

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast