Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

D- day to VE day lot of ephemera

Article about: Hi all, my girlfriend got me this lot from a local antique shop today for £3 if you can believe it! It all came from the same soldier who belonged to and anti- aircraft unit. There is a larg

Default D- day to VE day lot of ephemera

Hi all, my girlfriend got me this lot from a local antique shop today for £3 if you can believe it! It all came from the same soldier who belonged to and anti- aircraft unit. There is a large photo of the unit, plus both the famous D- day letter sent by Eisenhower (this has "please keep this for me" written on the back, so presumably it was sent home as a souvenir, hence its good condition). There is also a letter comending the unit's performance in the defence of Antwerp from Monty. In addition there are about 30 wartime and prewar postcards, clearly tracing his units progress through the ETO, there are one from ouistreham, Nijmegan, Hanover etc.

Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D- day to VE day lot of ephemera   D- day to VE day lot of ephemera  

D- day to VE day lot of ephemera   D- day to VE day lot of ephemera  

D- day to VE day lot of ephemera  

Default Re: D- day to VE day lot of ephemera

Girlfriends are great. They're even greater when they get you little bits of militaria from time to time. : )

My lady recently bought an Order of the Red Star for me from early 1945. I can't wait until it gets here!

Very cool letter by the way, I have actually never seen one. Are these common?

Sorry, I forgot to post a pic of the D- day letter, here it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D- day to VE day lot of ephemera   D- day to VE day lot of ephemera  

?

She can certainly spot a bargain !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Just wondering what the D- day letter is worth, has anyone seen another original one?

?

Those original D-Day letters are rare and quite valuable. Most were thrown away. I last saw one sell for just over $300 and that was a couple of years ago. That was a super find your girlfriend made. You owe her big time.

Josey

?

Great grouping.
    I always get a kick out of the "no fraternization" literature.
    SteveR